Outdoorsman Packs

KnotOnCall

Does anybody have any experience with outdoorsman packs, good or bad? I've been looking at packs for the up coming season. I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch cabinet or the outdoorsman optics hunter. The outdoorsman is a little bigger so that's a plus, but I really don't hear many people talk about them. Any input would be much appreciated. thanks

I have no personal experience with the outdoorsman's but the weight would be my biggest issue with both these packs. Exo or SG are going to provide you with more space with less weight.

My biggest complaint with their packs is that you don't get a load shelf except on their biggest pack. I will also always question whether external frame packs have much utility anymore beyond niche settings. I do know that they have a pretty good following with guides packing moose quarters and the like. They are definitely quality packs.

It was very interesting to stop in their store and talk to them about their pack design. They are designed to carry multiple days worth of water, plus a large spotting scope and multiple set of binoculars to manage Arizona type hunting situations. They are designed for a style that is counter to the fast and light mentality built around some other pack manufacturers.

If you have any questions I wouldn't hesitate to call them and discuss your situation as their whole crew is a very knowledgeable group of hunters. Packs aside they may also have the best high end optics selection I have ever seen.

Man, I'd be looking for something lighter if I were you. There are so many great lightweight packs I don't see any reason to lug around an extra 3-4 pounds.

I have a Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack. It is possibly the most indestructible pack made. I hadn't heard about them either until I saw Steve Renella using them on a episode of MeatEater, then a good friend of mine was getting ready to head to Alaska on a brown bear hunt and I noticed he had one. He told me that it is almost perfect, if they could lighten it just a bit then it would be. Even so he said he wouldn't trust another pack. I purchased mine a year ago and used it on an elk hunt, no complaints and didn't notice the weight being a problem. I got to haul my elk out with it and it performed flawlessly. I am hard on equipment and this pack is perfect for me.

Yes they are a little heavier but I love my outdoorsman pack. I can cut enough weight from equipment that the 3 pounds isn't that big of a deal. Also I like the functionality of it, I can take the whole pack of for packing quarters. Yes blood stains in most packs are a ting of the past but I still like the external frame. And like Redman mention, they seem to be indestructible.

I have no personal experience with the outdoorsman's but the weight would be my biggest issue with both these packs. Exo or SG are going to provide you with more space with less weight.

Agreed, I also like Seek Outside in this group of packs. All of these have systems that let you add compartments/accessories when you want them and take them off when you dont vs having extra pockets/weight when you dont need it. Way more versatile IMO. Though if I had the luxury of being sponsored or had a TV show I would have all of these bags and use what ever suited me best for the occasion.

thanks for all the suggestions/input. I would love to have some of these upper end packs but as usual, money is a factor. I'm trying to stay sub or around $400. The MR cabinet and outdoorsman in that price point. Like redman said, steve rinella using outdoorsman packs. That's what initially sparked my interest in them. I've been checking my local area craigslist and ebay regularly for packs. For those that do have the outdoorsman, how affective is the load lifters? I read somewhere that for taller people the loader lifters can be in-effective. I'm 6'1", so that may be a determining factor.

What is the weight of Outdoorsman Optics Hunter pack when empty?

Rinella has used about every type of pack out there. They use Stone Glacier now. Try to pick up something used. The Rokslide classifieds is where you need to be to find a used pack.

I ran the Outdoorsman Optic LR pack for three years. Very durable and can handle serious weight. I don't have any serious complaints about it. It doesn't have load lifters like other packs. It has some shoulder straps to adjust the load to fit the contour of your back. The belt and lumbar were well padded and comfortable.

Sold it and got a SG 3300 because I wanted something a bit less bulky for horseback and read several reviews about how comfortable it was. For me, the SG is overall more comfortable and more comfortable on my shoulders under heavy loads.

Back