MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Oregon deer

Birddog916

Hunt Talkers:
I am thinking I might burn my 6 OR deer nonresident points this year. I'm looking for help to select a rifle hunt unit. I have narrowed it down to the usual suspects including Owyhee, Whitehorse (East), Lookout Mt., Keating, and Murderers Creek. Anyone want to give me their opinion? This would be an October 3-14 rifle hunt. PM appreciated. I don't mind going light and packing in.

I don't have a ton of first hand hunting advice to give, but it's worth noting Owyhee and Lookout Mtn may be tough draws with 6 points in the non resident pool (https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/100-series---2021-buck-deer). I've not deer hunted those units personally, but just for the country alone, I'd pick Owyhee or Whitehorse over any of the others.
Wow, looks like units be creepin' like always. If I end up with another PP it won't be the end of the world. Thanks for the link. that is super useful.

You might want to hold off a year. Oregon archery mule deer went to a draw this year. If you hold out for another year you might get a better shot at a better rifle hunt.

I hunted Owyhee last season - pretty country. Not a ton of deer around, you can find info on ODFW. A lot of land to explore and I’m sure there’s a few big ones in there. I tagged a smaller 4 pt 3rd day. If you are adventurous and like exploring some interesting land this would be a good place, simply beautiful. Other units probably have better deer numbers.

Unless you‘re older than dirt keep putting in for white horse or Trout creek Mountains.

Lived in OR for 25 years. Whether by tradition or great hunting, Murderer's Creek was the favorite unit for those hunting the east. My hunting was in the Metolius, since I only hunted muzzleloader. That area is mostly regrowth after a horrible run of fires in the last 10-15 years.

I would abandon the points and walk away. Seriously. Unless you are retired and enjoy hiking trips.

Last edited:
Hunt Talkers:
I am thinking I might burn my 6 OR deer nonresident points this year. I'm looking for help to select a rifle hunt unit. I have narrowed it down to the usual suspects including Owyhee, Whitehorse (East), Lookout Mt., Keating, and Murderers Creek. Anyone want to give me their opinion? This would be an October 3-14 rifle hunt. PM appreciated. I don't mind going light and packing in.
Of the units you posted, Owyhee and Whitehorse would be my favorites with Owyhee taking the top spot. Neither has huge populations of deer but lots of BLM ground for access. Mostly cheat grass and rimrock, spot and stalk country. Lookout and Keating both have access issues in my opinion. Murderer's Creek has a mix of timber and high desert which makes it attractive for hunting the transition zones. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back