Optics people... please help me.

JustEppic

So, I have a TBI from the military, my eyes get funny especially when I am under stress (or excitement). A great example of this is when I was hunting at the end of last season, we have a 3 point minimum, I pushed a HUGE fork up through a little valley and when we got to the top, I sat down and started calling a little estrus calls just for fun. Well an even bigger buck came out, and I know now that he had to of had 4 or 5 points on each side (4 pointer or 5 pointer on the west side, 8 to 10 on the East). Here is the rub, when I was looking through my binos at 200 yards, I couldn't make out anything more than "really big rack". For me to take a shot, I have to know for 100% certainty that it is legal, I take pride in my ethics. Right now I am using a pair of Vortex 10X48 crossfire HD, and they let in great light and look amazing, but is there something else I could use, or something I could to do help me count up points while walking? (Yeah a spotting scope would be great but that doesn't help when he pops out and you dont have a ton of time to count them and drop him). I cant afford a ton to upgrade my binos, and i sent them in to get repaired and just got them back so maybe they will be better (they wouldn't focus right), but what do you guys think? I was thinking of saving my money up and getting lasic surgery LOL.

First of all, Vortex binos don't have a very good reputation; great warranty, but seem to break a lot according to the dealer I know. Secondly, though, I wonder if you have the same problem looking through your scope? Maybe the problem is binocular vision, given the TBI; your two eyes don't coordinate properly. Hate to see you buy good optics and find out it is a brain problem. Might discuss this with your ophthalmologist.
Somebody in Washington, let this guy look through your Swaros or Zeiss.

My grandma owns a pair of swaros (she is 97 so they might be mine at some point) - and I do have some bino eyes... or well lets just call it that. My eyes go black edges just like when you look through a scope, and I never know if its the scope, binos, or my eyes (I know my eyes do it, because if i look at something too long with NOTHING in my hands, they do it) and they said it IS due to brain damage, and dont worry, I make jokes about brain damage too... I thought Vortex was good, they are great when they work, I just need them to work constantly... ya know? I have an active duty guy who is going to try and get me a "spare" pair... (wink wink) so I have something that just works solid all the time, for when these fail on a trip.
I will talk to the dr, but getting a good dr around these parts is hell. I heard Randy talking to one on the show, i actually thought about calling THAT guy LOL.

Mavens are crystal clear. Just make sure you get a pair with the “diopter” (I think that’s what it’s called lens). Where you can adjust one eye separately so there’s no blurry ness when you’re glassing are something

Mavens are crystal clear. Just make sure you get a pair with the “diopter” (I think that’s what it’s called lens). Where you can adjust one eye separately so there’s no blurry ness when you’re glassing are something
As I read this thread I wonder if you have the diopter properly adjusted for your eyes? I assume crossfire bino's have a diopter???

As I read this thread I wonder if you have the diopter properly adjusted for your eyes? I assume crossfire bino's have a diopter???
Not a clue. I’m pretty sure a quick google search will reveal that answer. I just know vortex optics are so so and I believe crossfire is near the bottom of their line so quick glance I would assume not but I could be wrong

Thanks everyone - it looks like I just need to suck it up and see a doctor, I just dont want to... I think my wife called all you bastards LOL. I might reach out @BoomerUSAF the VA has given me such a bad taste that I really dont go to the dr now for anything unless I am about to die again.

My grandma owns a pair of swaros (she is 97 so they might be mine at some point) - and I do have some bino eyes... or well lets just call it that. My eyes go black edges just like when you look through a scope, and I never know if its the scope, binos, or my eyes (I know my eyes do it, because if i look at something too long with NOTHING in my hands, they do it) and they said it IS due to brain damage, and dont worry, I make jokes about brain damage too... I thought Vortex was good, they are great when they work, I just need them to work constantly... ya know? I have an active duty guy who is going to try and get me a "spare" pair... (wink wink) so I have something that just works solid all the time, for when these fail on a trip.
I will talk to the dr, but getting a good dr around these parts is hell. I heard Randy talking to one on the show, i actually thought about calling THAT guy LOL.
Sounds like maybe a neuro-ophthalmologist
Thanks everyone - it looks like I just need to suck it up and see a doctor, I just dont want to... I think my wife called all you bastards LOL. I might reach out @BoomerUSAF the VA has given me such a bad taste that I really dont go to the dr now for anything unless I am about to die again.
Swedish Medical Center has a Neuro Ophthalmology Department.

I truly appreciate that @Khunter, I have kids, I will get over it, I promise. I am actually setting an appointment right now for something that to me seems minor but my wife is nervous, so i I am going to go.

Back