Caribou Gear Tarp

Old truck appreciation (and high mileage)

I currently have two 2500HD Duramax trucks. The "new" one is a 2015 model with just over 100,000 on it. The one pictured below is my daily driver. It's a 2011 model which was the first year for the DEF. Once I figured that out, it has been pretty reliable. Had to put the second set of brakes on it last month.

View attachment 210794
So doing some basic math you have run 25,000+ gallons of fuel through that truck and most likely spent way more on fuel for it than it cost when you bought it.

My old 77 Ford F350 4wd carried us on many great hunting trips for many years and into many tough places to travel, often with chains on all four. Relegated mostly to hauling firewood and project materials nowadays, the shine is slowly wearing off, but the 351 V8 still purrs and often starts easier than the new rigs in cold weather.
FOURTH OF JULY FORD
4th of July FORD.JPG

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 205,000 miles and still going strong. Its a highway queen and hardly ever used for what it is intended to do.

Original brakes on it. lol
I pulled a pad off my 16 that has seen awful roads with 104k assuming it would need pads. Nope, 50+% left. Hows the injector and fuel pump holding up at 200k?

So doing some basic math you have run 25,000+ gallons of fuel through that truck and most likely spent way more on fuel for it than it cost when you bought it.
Hadn't ever looked at it like that, but you are correct. About 53K new.

Here is another bit of info, it has about 8700 hours on the hour meter. Almost a full year of driving. That gives a correlation to some of our equipment that may have up to 20,000 hours on it.

Hadn't ever looked at it like that, but you are correct. About 53K new.

Here is another bit of info, it has about 8700 hours on the hour meter. Almost a full year of driving. That gives a correlation to some of our equipment that may have up to 20,000 hours on it.
For static equipment, 1 hour = 50 mph is how we typically look at it.

My ram is now at 120,000 miles. I got it in 2018 with 83,000 miles.

The original purpose for getting the 2500 was a boat and 5th wheel camper. Those are both now gone. I keep the 2500 because if I ever need a mini ex or skid steer , they’ll rent them to me and let me tow with a 2500, but not a 1500 sized vehicle.

I’m considering getting a ranger/Tacoma/Colorado for a runabout due to the weight of the Ram.

69E1E2B7-7CDD-4554-9913-F708FCF63D5B.jpeg

The best thing I did to ever improve my fuel economy, I replaced the radiator cap.

1996 F-150, 167K on it. I actually bought this kinda recently, and am hoping to keep it going for a long, long time. We’re a family of three (wife and a little one) and I love cramming into the bench seat with them.View attachment 211058
Gah, I had a '92 that I sold a few years ago for not nearly enough money. Really wish I hadn't done that! Great looking truck.

it's not a diesel
Always run Ford Powerstroke, mainly due to work. Not sure why, love seeing all the milage folks are getting. Since my 2006/6.0(Ford blunder) been going downhill. The 6.0 I was able to do a delete, great truck after that. Sold it without a problem. Our 2012,6.7, 147000, 3rd egr cooler. In a area of WI that now requires Emission testing so cannot delete. We run our trucks plenty hard, pulling equipment, not alot of idling. I don't think Ford spends alot of their fortunes on engineering. I believe the EV 150 will most likely have a ground, somewhere in the middle of the motor that will corrode & need constant service. Just a thought.

Always run Ford Powerstroke, mainly due to work. Not sure why, love seeing all the milage folks are getting. Since my 2006/6.0(Ford blunder) been going downhill. The 6.0 I was able to do a delete, great truck after that. Sold it without a problem. Our 2012,6.7, 147000, 3rd egr cooler. In a area of WI that now requires Emission testing so cannot delete. We run our trucks plenty hard, pulling equipment, not alot of idling. I don't think Ford spends alot of their fortunes on engineering. I believe the EV 150 will most likely have a ground, somewhere in the middle of the motor that will corrode & need constant service. Just a thought.
Wow, 3rd egr cooler?! What's the cost of getting one replaced, if you don't mind me asking?

MI here, WI gets just as cold or colder than we do, not sure how a hard worked ev would do long term either.

Wow, 3rd egr cooler?! What's the cost of getting one replaced, if you don't mind me asking?

MI here, WI gets just as cold or colder than we do, not sure how a hard worked ev would do long term either.
I think the egr, roughly $1500

That's rough and annoying for the downtime, I thought the 6.7 was a pretty reliable engine.
You won't usually hear the bad things about them until you buy one😒. Once all the tier 4 emissions are added, the good old days of high milage, low maintenance diesels are gone. Not saying the vehicle won't last, just going to cost $

Back