old antlers

tom338

I have a bunch of old antlers that were laying around. I want to try and do something with them. They however do not look the best, dirty and dull. Any tips on cleaning them up? Anything I should NOT use?

My taxidermist recommended a water Murphy’s oil soap for keeping antlers clean and from drying out, should work fine to clean them up too. That being said, there are plenty of guys here that practice taxidermy and may have other suggestions!

My taxidermist recommended a water Murphy’s oil soap for keeping antlers clean and from drying out, should work fine to clean them up too. That being said, there are plenty of guys here that practice taxidermy and may have other suggestions!
+1
BB.jpg

Depending on how old and how nice if you sand the down a little there maybe hard white underneath. I’ve got an old deadhead I’ve been working on.

Wood filler and stain work well too. Just make sure you practice on some sheds you don’t care about. Just did this chalky 5 point as practice before I do a big deadhead. Takes a few fails and a lot of tinkering with stain colors. Had to mix a few colors to get what I wanted. Some light sanding on the tips and bumps really brings out the texture.
82463B4A-FE27-4B2D-B4FE-D3C2EF634E58.jpegD4115C5C-B6FE-4F36-A56E-1616546FD312.jpegA7DFD8C4-1C09-4DA3-91AB-7D850E351E40.jpeg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back