Yeti GOBOX Collection

Of possible interest to Minnesota public land hunters

katqanna

This article came up on my newsfeed and when I clicked on it, it was already gone, which always makes me more curious when that happens.

This is from a cached version. Going public: Grazing cattle on public lands

Do you have a grazing beef herd and are looking for new pasture opportunities? There might be an option through grazing public lands. A growing sentiment that having cattle on public lands is mutually beneficial has made doing so easier in recent years. Greg Hoch, Prairie Habitat Team Supervisor with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, along with other public lands representatives, discussed the ins and outs of public grazing Dec. 3 at the Minnesota Cattle Industry Convention.

I started looking at Minnesota's DNR lands and their Minnesota Prairie Conservation Plan, which Hoch is listed as being the team leader of.

Protecting grassland and wetland habitat is one of the most critical environmental challenges facing Minnesota. The work will be costly, complicated and challenging to implement at every level. In response, a blueprint has been developed for moving forward – the Minnesota Prairie Conservation Plan

- "Minnesota’s conservation partners in the Prairie Region of the state collaborated to develop a twenty-five year strategy for accelerating conservation. This strategy was precipitated by
several factors:
1. Continuing loss and degradation of prairies, grasslands, wetlands and associated habitats along with the fish and wildlife dependent upon them.
2. An acknowledged need to better coordinate between programs and organizations to maximize efficiency.
3. Tremendous opportunities provided by the passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment by voters in 2008 that will provide significant conservation funding through 2034.

The overall cost from all sources of the actions described in this plan is $3.6 billion"

With all the money poured into this, including federal, for critical habitat for fish and wildlife, it seems odd (to me) that the DNR team leader was promoting it at a Cattle Industry Convention for domestic cattle grazing opportunities.

Just in case this might be important to y'all, and the fact that is disappeared as quickly as it came up, it might be important to y'all in Minnesota public hunting. If of interest, I suggest saving the page in html for your records.

Back