NYT article on Meat Eater and hunting

Irrelevant

Maybe it's naive and/or duplicitous on my part, but this kind of exposure for hunting bugs me a lot less than guys blowing up spots with obvious location photos, or teaching joe blow how to e-scout for bears. I know it all goes together, but still...

Maybe it's naive and/or duplicitous on my part, but this kind of exposure for hunting bugs me a lot less than guys blowing up spots with obvious location photos, or teaching joe blow how to e-scout for bears. I know it all goes together, but still...
When I look at the suite of meat eater content, I think you can get almost the exact same results, in terms of growth and viewership, without the how-to-"kill something more efficiently" articles. How to's on DIY gear, gear maintenance, processing, cooking, and now for them, gardening, are great. I could even see how's to's on specific tactics, like still hunting, where to setup a deer stand, how to set out duck decoys, but WHERE based how to's seem to cross that line.

pay walled.
"I don’t want to be a hunter. I’m trying to eat less meat, not more. But for many people, hunting and fishing are a means to that visceral appreciation — let’s call it love — of the natural world that makes a person want to act to protect it. That feeling is big, an expansive common ground that needs to be filled with as many people as can be mustered, whether they get there armed with shotguns or birding binoculars or bright pink, Barbie-branded children’s fishing poles. After all, we, too, are animals reliant on imperiled ecosystems. Save the habitat, save ourselves."

- Last paragraph & good example of the overall message and tenor of the piece.

"I don’t want to be a hunter. I’m trying to eat less meat, not more. But for many people, hunting and fishing are a means to that visceral appreciation — let’s call it love — of the natural world that makes a person want to act to protect it. That feeling is big, an expansive common ground that needs to be filled with as many people as can be mustered, whether they get there armed with shotguns or birding binoculars or bright pink, Barbie-branded children’s fishing poles. After all, we, too, are animals reliant on imperiled ecosystems. Save the habitat, save ourselves."

- Last paragraph & good example of the overall message and tenor of the piece.
Did you catch that she caught Steve arrogance (just before the paragraph you quoted)? If someone who spends just a few hours/days with you, when you know they're writing a piece that going to be broadcast to the world, noticed your head is so big they can't help but write about it, you have ego problems.

Did you catch that she caught Steve arrogance (just before the paragraph you quoted)? If someone who spends just a few hours/days with you, when you know they're writing a piece that going to be broadcast to the world, noticed your head is so big they can't help but write about it, you have ego problems.
Can you imagine the POS I would be if I was famous....

I got back into hunting when I met a field producer for meateater at a wilderness medicine class. I grew up in the south, and my dad was a game warden, but Western regs just seemed too complicated when I arrived and was passionate about other things. I think his content is very high quality and he is a great representative for us as hunters.

I do feel like every podcast his ego grows. I wonder how many eye rolls occur as he talks over the expert with his opinion on the topic. Or decries that he's not becoming the old guy who doesn't understand a cultural element, when he obviously is.

I would prefer to hunt with Cal, Janis, or Clay if I got a choice, but I'm happy to direct folks to meat eater that don't understand hunting at all

Back