Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nosler brass.

I got the “cheaper unprepped” brass it would seem.

I got the bag of 100 instead of the box of 50.
IMG_0535.png

Over the years I have read so much good and bad about different brass that now I simply use what I can find that doesn't break the bank, usually winchester. of course I've read fron all winchester detractors also. I'm not one of them od course! Remington works well for me and most everything else is hard to find. Could drive to Bend for Nosler brass but about 75 mi from here and could get another 50 case's of Winchester for what the gas would cost me!

Over the years I have read so much good and bad about different brass that now I simply use what I can find that doesn't break the bank, usually winchester. of course I've read fron all winchester detractors also. I'm not one of them od course! Remington works well for me and most everything else is hard to find. Could drive to Bend for Nosler brass but about 75 mi from here and could get another 50 case's of Winchester for what the gas would cost me!
I've also heard tell that Winchester brass is the hardest. I had a gent doing some load workup using QuickLoad and he advised to back off 2 grains from the produced loads if you weren't using Winchester brass.

Nope. It falls off incredibly.

I’m getting to the point I’m going to soak all my stuff in dirty motor oil and lemon juice to tarnish it and make it sticky. That should help hold the powder in the case better so it won’t shake around.
Reminds me of my wife’s late grandpa. We were shooting gophers one day and his .22 kept jamming. Reaches behind the seat grabs a jug of 30 weight and dumps some down the action and off it runs out the end of the barrel. Shakes it a few times to get the access off and off to shooting he went. Made me laugh.

Do not care whose brass it is as I always weigh, chamfer the necks, uniform the primer pockets, remove the burr from the flash holes and etc. Regardless of manufacturer and/or price. This provides with satisfaction of knowing all is the same. Have found some brass that requires neck turning. Have found some that is thick through the webbing. MTG

internets told me that nosler brass used to be manufactured by Norma and sorted/prepped. I don’t believe most of it is anymore and is rumored to be by hornady. This aligns with my experience with older 300 wsm brass that can be used interchangeably with Norma and new 300wm brass that definitely is different from Norma.

When Nosler was rebranded Norma that had been sorted by a shop across the street it was fantastic brass. The brass that Nosler makes isn’t in the same class.

internets told me that nosler brass used to be manufactured by Norma and sorted/prepped. I don’t believe most of it is anymore and is rumored to be by hornady. This aligns with my experience with older 300 wsm brass that can be used interchangeably with Norma and new 300wm brass that definitely is different from Norma.
Maybe I’m mistaken, I thought Nosler bought a failed brass manufacturer(PMC?) and was now making their own. Whatever it is, it isn’t very good.

Back