NM Hunter looking for a partner/mentor.

Kryos73

So after 3 years of going out and coming back empty handed I'm fed up. Looking for someone that would like to come along and lend their knowledge/experience. Sept 15-24 elk in unit 2 ES tag and/or Deer unit 37 Nov 13-17 FAD Rifle. Only so much I can learn via YouTube. Field knowledge is what I'm after.

This is a generous offer. What state? Depending on where you're hunting, it's hard for me to imagine being fed up from coming home empty handed after only a few tries. While I've killed many muley bucks in the Colorado Rockies in 15 seasons of hunting there, and some real dandies to boot, I still haven't brought home an elk. I've helped pack'em out for my buddies, and have been thrilled to death for them, but yours truly has yet to get his elk. But fed up? Not so much. More like more motivated.

If someone takes you up on your offer and joins you, will that person be able to get tags so he or she can hunt, too?

This is a generous offer. What state? Depending on where you're hunting, it's hard for me to imagine being fed up from coming home empty handed after only a few tries. While I've killed many muley bucks in the Colorado Rockies in 15 seasons of hunting there, and some real dandies to boot, I still haven't brought home an elk. I've helped pack'em out for my buddies, and have been thrilled to death for them, but yours truly has yet to get his elk. But fed up? Not so much. More like more motivated.

If someone takes you up on your offer and joins you, will that person be able to get tags so he or she can hunt, too?
I guess fed up really wasn't the right terminology. More saddened and irritated. It isn't anything that would stop me from going out year after year. Just tired of not having anything to show after all the preparation and work is done.

State is NM. Unfortunately both of these were draw hunts so unless someone had the same result they would not be able to hunt as well. However, they will not go home empty handed if I have a successful harvest.

Thank you for your comments.

Wish I lived closer to you, 'cuz I'd love to join you, although where we're heading this September in CO is just a stone's throw from the NM border.

I'm curious how those tags turned out too. I'm in NM and my best friend in AZ absolutely last minute bailed on my elk hunt that he promised to help on all year. Pissed me off so bad after I helped him on two of his. I figured I should get better local hunting friends haha

So after 3 years of going out and coming back empty handed I'm fed up. Looking for someone that would like to come along and lend their knowledge/experience. Sept 15-24 elk in unit 2 ES tag and/or Deer unit 37 Nov 13-17 FAD Rifle. Only so much I can learn via YouTube. Field knowledge is what I'm after.
I'm not sure how you haven't had 100 people wanting to help considering you've drawn a NM elk tag 3 straight years!

Bowhunting elk is really hard, and unit 2 had a ~10% success rate in 2020. Finding a mentor would be great, but you could also help yourself by putting in for some hunts with higher success rates, and maybe try to kill something/anything/cow with a muzzleloader or rifle. I think I hunted elk 6 or 7 years before I made my first kill, I didn't have a "mentor" either.

drew an elk and a deer this year in NM and I havent hunted either. Plenty of whitetail back east.

Man both ends of the state! I'm seeing some good hills to glass off in 29, no idea about feed/water though. The hills are right on the border though which gives me pause. I'm not so certain you'd be the only one looking off those hills, if you know what I mean

Might see if there is a First Hunt Foundation Mentor in your area to help you out

If anyone is looking for a NM hunting partner, I am in. Finding that hunting alone is not only not as fun as sharing camp, but not as safe as having someone else along. Just finished my elk hunt, would have been much more adventurous if there were someone else in camp.

David
NM

Where are you located in NM? I have an archery in 34 the third week of December ?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back