Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

NM Elk Hunting. 16E

Valley1320

Does anyone have any info on unit 16e for archery elk hunts in September here in NM. Is there decent numbers of elk? Does anyone have any info on the unit from last year or two. All the info I can find on it is years old.

Elk there. Unit is checker boarded but not too bad. Take a look at harvest rates on G and F site. I believe in 2018 they were dismal. 2019 harvest rates are probably not out yet.

The 1st hunt can be very hot 70-80°. 2nd hunt can also be very hot making some long quite days. There are some areas that hold a decent amount of bulls. We had to spike in about 3 miles to get close to where we located some elk. Dry unit so plan a added trip to pack water in. Also outfitters hunt the private pretty hard so find bedding above private land water works great. Good hunt if you like spiking and a physical challenge.

16e is a different kinda hunting. Lots.of open grassy areas. If u go into luera better have a atv the only road In will kill a vehicle. Also can't camp.on state land. If u hunt westside of unit u can camp anywhere pretty much. Hunted there couple times

Any advice on access points for the western pelona area? I've got the trailhead that comes from the south west off forest road 4051 (in the only chunk of national forest) but am wondering about some of the roads in from the west. Onx doesn't label County roads well so I'm going to have to pick up a blm map and hope it does.

Last time I was in that country helping a buddy on a late season hunt a few years ago. The BLM that touches 16C/16E/21B looked like a tent/camper city. It was unbelievable. If you avoided this area I would imagine your hunt would be enjoyable.

Last time I was in that country helping a buddy on a late season hunt a few years ago. The BLM that touches 16C/16E/21B looked like a tent/camper city. It was unbelievable. If you avoided this area I would imagine your hunt would be enjoyable.
I am planning on spike camping to avoid anything like that! That said, i am certainly not going to have any issues with walking in, i am mostly trying to figure out where i can get my truck to if i need to do a pack out since i will be solo. I am really hoping to avoid a 10mile solo pack out. I found out that New Mexico puts a BLM map of the entire state out for free on an app, that led me to discover that, as far as i can tell, all the roads that come off the western border road are private. There are a couple that start out in state land and then go through BLM that i am hoping will be open. Gonna have to scout them in the 2 week preseason scouting for state land i guess. Also gonna need to burn some leather and scout for water too...

I am planning on spike camping to avoid anything like that! That said, i am certainly not going to have any issues with walking in, i am mostly trying to figure out where i can get my truck to if i need to do a pack out since i will be solo. I am really hoping to avoid a 10mile solo pack out. I found out that New Mexico puts a BLM map of the entire state out for free on an app, that led me to discover that, as far as i can tell, all the roads that come off the western border road are private. There are a couple that start out in state land and then go through BLM that i am hoping will be open. Gonna have to scout them in the 2 week preseason scouting for state land i guess. Also gonna need to burn some leather and scout for water too...
There are a few roads to gain access from west,clearly marked on BLM maps. Few and not far. Not roads according to some.
Be prepared for a packout.

Any advice on access points for the western pelona area? I've got the trailhead that comes from the south west off forest road 4051 (in the only chunk of national forest) but am wondering about some of the roads in from the west. Onx doesn't label County roads well so I'm going to have to pick up a blm map and hope it does.
Send a PM to me and we can chat about what I learned last December.

Does anyone have any info on unit 16e for archery elk hunts in September here in NM. Is there decent numbers of elk? Does anyone have any info on the unit from last year or two. All the info I can find on it is years old.
I Drew the 16E late archery this year and would love to hear a recap of your hunt?

I didn't get to go. I drew a different gila unit the next year and then again this year! My friend that works for us that I have helped get into hunting has drawn 16e second archery this year.

Any advice on the unit 16E new mexico? Looks like only 60 tags. Should I bring ATV planning to bring backpacking equipment. Need to find some first seasons folks help us second season people find them faster lol

Last edited:
Any advice on the unit ? Looks like only 60 tags. Should I bring ATV planning to bring backpacking equipment. Need to find some first seasons folks help us second season people find them faster lol
Bring your walking shoes haha. And don't leave if you get some info here. Stick around and report on your hunt. If you stick and are willing to give out info and help pple they will do the same for you here. Welcome to HT

Bring your walking shoes haha. And don't leave if you get some info here. Stick around and report on your hunt. If you stick and are willing to give out info and help pple they will do the same for you here. Welcome to HT
Yeah I'm trying to decide who to help if at all. They blow away in the wind.
They think they won and own us and blow us off.
Really?
Lol he ain’t sticking around

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back