Caribou Gear

NJ Bears

Bear hunting in NJ is a never ending drama. A couple of points in the article needs correction:

1. Bear hunting in NJ did start in 1958, but it ended in 1971.
2. Bear hunting was once again permitted in 2003 after 32 years of no bear hunting. At the time, the northwest part of the state had reached what was said to be the highest black bear density anywhere. And it was indeed crazy, I myself have seen as many as 11 different bears while deer hunting in a single day in Sussex county.
3. the length of the season is two weeks, not 4 weeks as stated in the article (early 6 day October season archery/muzzleloader) and a 6 day shotgun season in December.

Despite the wildlife biologists of the State repeatedly stating that we need to retain the science based bear management plan, which includes hunting, the idiot politicians and city slickers continue to clamor against it. Hence the reason our governor banned bear hunting on State WMA's. He wanted to do it State wide, but then he realized that he doesn't have the authority to override the game code, as set forth by the Fish and Game council.
It is absolutely laughable to question whether or not it was a bear attack when a man is mauled by bear in his own garage. Only in NJ do we find such stupidity!

Non-lethal bear population control. I'm guessing they mean vasectomies? NY does that with deer:

Scientific management arguments for hunting aren't working, this battle was lost when the culture no longer supported hunting.

I think that the end of predator hunting is likely coming to all states other than Alaska in the next several decades, unfortunately.
The public doesn’t understand it and is generally against it.

The fall black bear hunt probably wouldn’t survive a ballot initiative in Colorado today. It definitely won’t survive one in 10 years.
I doubt it would survive one in Montana in 10 years with Gallatin county’s growth trajectory.

I really have trouble imagining it being legal to kill bears 30-60 years from now, but maybe I’m way off base?

I think that the end of predator hunting is likely coming to all states other than Alaska in the next several decades, unfortunately.
The public doesn’t understand it and is generally against it.

The fall black bear hunt probably wouldn’t survive a ballot initiative in Colorado today. It definitely won’t survive one in 10 years.
I doubt it would survive one in Montana in 10 years with Gallatin county’s growth trajectory.

I really have trouble imagining it being legal to kill bears 30-60 years from now, but maybe I’m way off base?
Guess ill be a criminal.

Certain politicians, like Gov Phil Murphy, say that they are strong supporters of science. It’s clear though that support only applies when it suits their agenda. The hypocrisy is laughable.

What I am not seeing is a concertive effort by sportmen in NJ to combat this in such a way that it resonates with Joe public. Contrast this to NY that has seen steadily increasing Opportunity for bear hunting in the state.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back