Newcastle Wy Antelope

vman1959

working on putting together my first antelope hunt for next year around Newcastle. contacted Chamber of commerce who were very helpful and the local game warden who bent over backwards to help. he gave me the names of ranchers he knew would let my son and I on. I ordered the quad maps of units 5-6-7-27. Any other suggestions or anything I may be forgetting? Not my first trip for me been out in the area around Upton years ago for mulies but this will be my first antelope hunt.:)

We just got back from Wyoming last week. Hunted the antelope opener in area 7 and stayed in Newcastle. We hunted some private land that we paid a $100 (each for 3 of us for a week) tresspass fee. It was very well worth it. We saw a lot of antelope and managed to fill 3 buck and 3 doe tags in 2 days. Some of the other hunters said they had a tough time on public land and walk in areas, but I think most of them were driving the roads looking for lopes then trying to stalk them. This was my first antelope hunt and I had a great time.

Get a map of Thunder Basin Grasslands as well as the BLM maps that show the public land around the oil fields. I was in unit 7 for archery season and missed a buck and doe. I was going to go up this week with rifle and my buddy that lives in Newcastle said there's hardly any antelope to speak of on public land. I called the game warden in the area and he said the same thing. So, I would try your luck with archery because the couty roads in the area look like hiways with traffic during rifle season. Also, eat at the Pizza Barn in Newcastle..they have amazing prime rib

I just hunted area #27 about 40 miles from Newcastle. I would say it's about 70% public land (Thunderbasin National Grasslands). Order a map of the national grasslands and go hunt. I saw tons of antelope in area #27 and filled out in 10 minutes with a buck. Drove to town to buy a doe tag and filled out on the way back. I was worried that they would be hard to hunt, however, it was the easiest hunt I was ever on. I camped in the national grasslands (Rochelle hills) where the are pine trees.

I met lots of nice people out there from all over the country. Most everyone that I had met filled out the first day with the buck tag (even other first time goat hunters as myself).

If you need any info PM me. Note: you usually need 1 pref. point to draw area #27.

good luck to all
the dog

Hunted unit 7 during the opener on public land with lots of other hunters so be prepaird to not have much to yourself if you hunt public.We still managed to fill both our buck tags and two doe tags.I just cant see paiying a fee to hunt land when there are 1,000s of acres to hunt for free.In my opinion if I were you I would try to get a point built up and draw unit 27.This was still the best hunt I have ever been on.

Not to be too snide but this type of info is best reserved for PMs....

don't understand this isn't this what its all about helping others out and giving advice? When I go I won't have nothing to keep a secret and will share anything and everything I can.

Also I won't be going out the first week my other son is getting married and the wife would kind of frown me going out for opening week. So I will be a 2nd week hunter and work on getting onto private land.

Again thanks for all the advice from everyone .

2009 antelope hunt

My first trip out, I hunted area 27 with my brother and we both tagged out for our bucks in two days. We saw hundreds of lopes. We both got doe in area 7. Planned for a 4 day hunt and done in 3. We stayed at the Pines Motel in Newcastle, very clean, and nice peple own the place. I applied with no points and got area 27, but that was just luck. I am planning another trip back for next October, but now have one point. If you put in for area 27 as a first choice and area 7 a second, you should do fine. There is just a lot more public land in 27. Watch out for rain in Thunder Basin NGL. If you get caught on one of the many unpaved dirt roads in the rain you WILL GET STUCK. 4x4 and chains doesnt matter you will get stuck. Move to gravel road or paved if rain threatens. Also Cambria Custom Processing 8mi north of Newcastle on Hwy. 85 does a good job...about $65 per lope. 307-746-2096 Thunder Basin National Grassland map is an absolute must...don't go without it.
******** Anyone out there know when the 2011 rifle antelope season ends in area 27...I know it starts on Oct. 1st. *******

Unit 7, A good choice.

My son, daughter and I did our first antelope hunt ever in Unit 7 this year. The game warden is your best resource. Don't think that you have to hunt private land to have great hunting opportinities. State and BLM land are great you just need a good unit map with GPS coordinates and a hand held unit to be sure you are in the right place. It doesn't lie but some land owners will just to get you off the adjoining property. Spot and Stalk opportunities are great you just have to ignore those driving the roads and get out there with them. We all shot very respectable bucks out of groups ten to thirty animals and a lot of choices on which buck to take. Ditto on the recommendation of Cambria processors. They did a great job and our meat is the best game I've ever eaten. We're already planning for next year. Good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back