Caribou Gear

Newbish but determined to learn, AZ hunter

BuddyBoombox

So, I've been shooting for years and love it, and got into backpacking a few years back. I took a stab at javelina hunting a few years ago and now I'm hooked. Of course my dad never hunted, my family thinks I'm crazy but at least my wife is supportive! I'm looking for people of really any skill level to go hunting with, if for no other reason than to meet more fellow hunters and figure out how to get more involved in the community and conservation aspects of this awesome sport!

I grew up in Az. started learning there with small game and eventually deer, elk. It was a great place to start for sure.
I live in Montana now and wouldn't trade it for the world. If you ever decide to venture up this way I'd be glad to help you out.
I may actually be putting in for deer next year in Az to hunt with my dad and sister, will be nice to revisit my old stomping grounds
(if I can draw anyway)

Any advice for finding a spot for something simple like rabbits or squirrels? It's daunting looking at a map of the entire state and picking a spot, even for small game. I've been through Montana twice and LOVED it. The wife and I have fantasized about retiring up there if our careers never take us there. If I want to make a trip even for fishing(luckily my dad loved to fish so that's not a foreign concept to me) I know the streams up there are some of the most beautiful spots to fish I've ever seen in my life!

I haven't hunted there in over 20 years so it would be foolish of me to think I could even guess at a good spot lol. I grew up in a small mining town
called Bagdad, NW of Wickenburg and just North of there we could get into some Ponderosa pine areas that were good back then for squirrel, rabbits,
turkeys, deer and javelina. At that time a guy could get into gambles quail, mule deer, rabbits and javelina pretty easy without traveling very far. I haven't heard much about
populations recently in that area and never really hunted a bunch anywhere else. Had a few elk tags in 6a and 6b over by Camp Verde in the late 80s early 90s but other than that my spot knowledge is very limited to what I "hear" about from TV shows or magazines.
Since moving to Montana I have been spoiled and kind of lost my desire to hunt with rattlers and cactus lol. With all my tags over the counter here I have found it nice
not worrying about draw dates and applications (except for special permits) but I can hunt a ton on general licenses every year guaranteed, and I fish every chance I get
mostly walleye and northern pike, got tired of trout lol

Any advice for finding a spot for something simple like rabbits or squirrels? It's daunting looking at a map of the entire state and picking a spot, even for small game. I've been through Montana twice and LOVED it. The wife and I have fantasized about retiring up there if our careers never take us there. If I want to make a trip even for fishing(luckily my dad loved to fish so that's not a foreign concept to me) I know the streams up there are some of the most beautiful spots to fish I've ever seen in my life!

Which part of AZ are you interested in for squirrel?

Which part of AZ are you interested in for squirrel?

Any place I can drive or overnight to, I've got a sleeping rig for the truck that's real easy to overnights are not a problem. I'm in Gilbert so southeast metro phoenix area, so for squirrels I can head up the bush highway to the Rim really easily from where I am, or for rabbits I have ready access to all the places south and east of queen creek without even overnighting it

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to HT!

Much appreciated!

For squirrel, consider unit 31 on mt Graham. It is open year round and they are very abundant. Just make sure to know the difference between the Albert's and the Mt Graham red before you go. Can't shoot the reds.

For squirrel, consider unit 31 on mt Graham. It is open year round and they are very abundant. Just make sure to know the difference between the Albert's and the Mt Graham red before you go. Can't shoot the reds.

I just watched a video from AZGF department about them! I would absolutely be careful after watching that video!

"CouesKelly" huh? Got any tips for a first timer this fall? I drew 36A whitetail for the late October hunt.

Any place I can drive or overnight to, I've got a sleeping rig for the truck that's real easy to overnights are not a problem. I'm in Gilbert so southeast metro phoenix area, so for squirrels I can head up the bush highway to the Rim really easily from where I am, or for rabbits I have ready access to all the places south and east of queen creek without even overnighting it

Much appreciated!
Hey I'm in Gilbert also. I just got into Hunting late Sept last year. Let me know if you want to meet up for some Rabbit, Dove or Squirrel hunting sometime.

Hey I'm in Gilbert also. I just got into Hunting late Sept last year. Let me know if you want to meet up for some Rabbit, Dove or Squirrel hunting sometime.
I'll echo this, I'm in Gilbert as well! Let's meet up sometime, maybe grab a beer and plan a trip!

I see you drew 36 for the oct rifle hunt. I'll be in 30A for the Nov 6-12 hunt. I'm driving in from KY, but if you wanna share a camp your more than welcome to join. I'm no stranger than the average huntalker 😅

I love squirrel hunting too, even got two squirrel dogs during the corona pandemic to occupy my time training. If your ever in KY and wanna hunt let me know. I plan on actually travelling with my dogs hunting squirrels after they get a good fall season of hunting. Apparently there are 7 species of huntable squirrels, a squirrel slam seems intriguing to me 👍

I see you drew 36 for the oct rifle hunt. I'll be in 30A for the Nov 6-12 hunt. I'm driving in from KY, but if you wanna share a camp your more than welcome to join. I'm no stranger than the average huntalker 😅

I love squirrel hunting too, even got two squirrel dogs during the corona pandemic to occupy my time training. If your ever in KY and wanna hunt let me know. I plan on actually travelling with my dogs hunting squirrels after they get a good fall season of hunting. Apparently there are 7 species of huntable squirrels, a squirrel slam seems intriguing to me 👍

Just north of your unit is Mt Graham, home to the Mt Graham Red Squirrel that's on the edge of extinction due to it's extreme specialization. Maybe you "Squirrel Slam" get's extra points if you snag a pic of some of the non-huntable ones?

I just might take a weekend trip down south in November, that's a little further out than I normally plan, but I'll keep you in mind and might reach out closer to your hunt.

Just north of your unit is Mt Graham, home to the Mt Graham Red Squirrel that's sorta constantly under threat of extinction due to it's extreme specialization and small habitat area. Maybe you "Squirrel Slam" get's extra points if you snag a pic of some of the non-huntable ones?

I just might take a weekend trip down south in November, that's a little further out than I normally plan, but I'll keep you in mind and might reach out closer to your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back