Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NEW TX Boy here in need of advice

thecgspalding

I am a late onset big game hunter. I grew up bird hunting primarily and still do a lot of that in central Texas. I also spent a ton of time fishing on Lake Texoma and down on the coast, but now I really want to get into deer hunting and hopefully look into doing a few western hunts.

I've got two you kids now and want to share with them what I got to do growing up and hopefully start the tradition again.

Got the rifle and some family land in western Oklahoma and I am just ready to get moving on the next steps here. Open to help and suggestions.

Welcome, use the search feature if you have questions as many have been fully explained in past topics. Contribute and some of these guys will help you out and provide great insight and experiances. Look forward to being back in western OK myself this fall.

Welcome. Might want to check out the Texas public hunts. If your in central Texas there’s plenty public up your way and also a draw system in TX as well.

Howdy from San Antonio. As stated above Texas public hunts are good places to start. Also you can start wearing some hunting brand clothes to work and your kids school events. I have met several hunting buddies this way and this has lead to many hunting opportunities and access to lease land (TX thing) I otherwise wouldn't have had. Sounds weird now that I have typed it out...but nonetheless it is effective!

Howdy from San Antonio. As stated above Texas public hunts are good places to start. Also you can start wearing some hunting brand clothes to work and your kids school events. I have met several hunting buddies this way and this has lead to many hunting opportunities and access to lease land (TX thing) I otherwise wouldn't have had. Sounds weird now that I have typed it out...but nonetheless it is effective!

Love that idea about bumping shoulders with other hunters. Leverage my cute kids for potential lease access is a good deal. lol I have some access but it is always on off weekends, I think that I just need to plan better than I did in the previous two years. The public hunt sound good I'll have to check out the Texas hunts page.

Welcome aboard! Spent a little time on Texoma myself. Oklahoma has a youth rifle season in October could be a good way to get the kids out and do a little scouting for rifle season that opens about a month later.

Welcome to HT. There is a ton of info on here, a quick search can lead you down the rabbit hole on what you're wanting help with. What exactly are you wanting to know?

I have been looking around and getting lots of info and people have been awesome and really helpful. I think one of the things I'd like to get into is bow hunting and land management for wildlife. we just inherited land and I have grown up in an agg family just my immediate family has never really gotten into it until now.

Bowhunting is very fun, if you don't already bowhunt/have a bow I'd look at getting one soon and getting proficient with it if you want to use it this fall. If you need to get a bow, head to a few shops that will let you try some out - they'll get you measured for draw length and you'll find out what you like and don't like. A new top end model isn't needed (although they are damn nice), some of the package setups are reasonably priced and shoot well. If you have any questions about bowhunting feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Managing land for wildlife - a decent resource is the conservation agency for the state your land is in. If they're anything like Missouri, they will have seminars/workshops on things like controlled burns, establishing good cover and native food sources, etc. or you can contact biologists and pick their brains.

Welcome from out in El Paso. Born and raised in central Texas myself. Stick around, this is a great forum.

J

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back