Caribou Gear

New toy

Following this. Been dreaming of S&W making this pistol for a few years. Not in the budget for now but living vicariously through you and this post until I can buy one.

is it just me or do the sights look a bit...high aka elevated like they'd catch on literally everything
Seems lots of companies are doing this now as “suppressor ready” sights. Don’t like the looks but would be easy enough to swap out with other options.

if it's set up for a suppressor or optics then why bother with fixed sights at all? Seems like mounting standard sights for the 90% of shooters would be more valuable than sights that look like they'd literally catch on everything short of your eyelashes

is it just me or do the sights look a bit...high aka elevated like they'd catch on literally everything
They are high. The marketing folks call it “optics height”. The gun is predrilled for optics, so I guess the expectation is that most people will add them. I likely won’t. It’ll be interesting to get on the range with it because in the store it was a bit awkward for me to quickly get on target with it. At the price / availability of 10mm ammo, I don’t have the luxury of sending 100’s of rounds down range to make it work. Good news is that if I don’t like it, I can easily sell it for what I paid for it.

But M&P fits my hand really well and I love the other ones I have. Those have more traditional height sites. So we’ll see how it goes. I’ll update with results.

I’ll also add that I wouldn’t consider this for any concealed carry application, so the “catching on everything” isn’t really an issue for me. I don’t concealed carry and actually sold a Sig P365 SAS that justified me buying this one.

It’s a weird thing with me, but I just can’t find any compact or thin frame pistol that I like to shoot. I’ll open carry this on a belt or chest harness in the backcountry purely as backup defense. It will replace an SR 45 that’s a good shooter but doesn’t fit me as well as M&P, not to mention that a 10mm is far superior for that application. Any buyer for an SR 45, hit me up!

The other thing that will take some getting used with the sights on this one compared to my other M&Ps is the front site has way more drift within the rear site window. Not a great pic, but maybe shows it OK. I guess it’s just a “get it close quick” vs precision mindset?D4E8E2CC-015E-4B04-87AD-464CF545E3E7.jpeg

I have the same thing in 9mm. I’m not an M&P fan, but it shoots well. I also thought the suppressor height sights would be a pain, but I didn’t notice them and I ended up putting an RMR on it. I actually just picked up a Glock 17 MOS to replace it today, so mine will be going back in the safe pretty soon.

I have the same thing in 9mm. I’m not an M&P fan, but it shoots well. I also thought the suppressor height sights would be a pain, but I didn’t notice them and I ended up putting an RMR on it. I actually just picked up a Glock 17 MOS to replace it today, so mine will be going back in the safe pretty soon.
I looked at the Glock 20 in 10mm, but it felt to me like a gun too big for concealed carry trying to be a concealed carry. If you’re dead set on a 10mm concealed carry (for those random grizzly bear attacks at your local mall 😂), the Glock 20 is probably the best thing out there. But for open carry application and what feels good in my hand, the M&P seemed to hit the mark.

If you’re a Glock guy and that’s what feels most comfortable to you then by all means a Glock is the way to go. Of all the handguns I’ve shot and/or owned, M&P has always been the best fit for me. There’s something to be said for familiarity and confidence that’s personal vs brand. Go with your gut!

Nice gun, I was looking at those as well...as for ammo, it's easy to find, it's just over priced.

Dang, wasn’t aware they were making them. I have never fully warmed up to my G40. Might need to make the change!

We have only had a couple in the shop and they went quickly. M&Ps don't fit my hand well but are good shooters. If you want an optic for it you might consider this.....https://www.scheels.com/p/leupold-deltapoint-micro-3-moa-s-w-m-p-red-dot-sight/03031702628.html?cgid=optics-scopes-sights#start=6 .....not cheap but very low profile and easy to acquire. I am not a fan of optics on pistols for other than target purposes, but these for the M&Ps and Glocks I really like.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back