Caribou Gear Tarp

New to Forum and new to Pronghorns

griffon_49

Ok...I am a teacher/Coach in MO and have finally saved up enough to head out west on a DIY pronghorn trip. I have a few questions to toss out to you guys so here goes (thanks in advance):

1: Do you know any landowners who offer trespass fee's? Where would I start looking?
2: Should my first hunt be rifle or bow (I shoot both fairly well)
3: Is it better to hunt a unit with a draw or find one with OTC tags
4: Best dates for going
5: What caliber gun do you recommend since the terrain is different than back home?

I'm still a rookie to western hunting but I have been on two antelope hunts now so I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Not sure on trespass fee's. Take a look at the resource page and click the state you want to hunt. (I recommend Wyoming for lopes)

2. I did archery my first year, it was fun trying to spot and stalk these critters but the closest opportunity I had was 70 yards. Water hole sitting sucks donkey butt if you ask me. This year I went with the rifle and shot a decent buck (great for me) at about 55 yards or so :) - I'd do rifle first

3. Both times I have banked Antelope points and bought leftover tags. Still plenty of lopes (Check out the HMA's)

4. For rifle I went the first week, seems to be plenty of lopes if you wait till the second week with less hunters. Archery you want to try to hit the rut which is a small window for lopes from what I understand.

5. I used a .270 and another buddy used a .243.

Hope this helps a little.

1: There's plenty enough public ground available that you don't need to worry about tresspass fees. Especially with walk in areas.

2: If you go to Wyoming you can do both. Try it in Archery season and if you strike out, go back with your rifle...nice thing about Wyoming

3: Colorado has OTC archery tags, but Wyoming is draww, but you can usually find leftover tags for alot of units

4: Antelope are usually less spooky during archery seasons and rifle seasons usually get packed with road hunters, but they rut closer to rifle seasons

5: I use a 25.06 for antelope and with it I'm confident out to 600 yard shots, but I've also taken them with my 30.06 at closer ranges. Any flat shooting rifle will work

Thanks for your responses. MO has finally thrown some Elk down south but pronghorn were next on my list of adventures. I'm leaning towards rifle and wyoming seems to be the consensus. What would you suggest for bringing supplies (I like to pack light). I don't want to be caught missing something but I also don't want to load down with stuff I think I need and really don't. Sorry for being so needy, I just like knowing from people who have been there and done that so-to-speak!

Are you planning on camping or using a motel? Expect any kind of weather up there...it can still get warm in the day time during rifle season, but it can get pretty cold at night.

In Wyoming chaptstick and a good wind breaker are the most important things after your tag, gun and ammo.

Planning on sleeping in my truck to save money...chapstick...see those are the types of things i'd forget! Not that you couldn't pick it up on the way but I'd be in the field and think "dang wish someone would've told me to bring chapstick"! Thanks!

Planning on sleeping in my truck to save money...chapstick...see those are the types of things i'd forget! Not that you couldn't pick it up on the way but I'd be in the field and think "dang wish someone would've told me to bring chapstick"! Thanks!

Truck camping in Wyoming for lopes is always my favorite way to go....unless you go late in the season. Bring plenty of water, be gear ready for wind, rain, sweltering heat and even snow.

I know some guys that come from the east prefer hotels, because they are relatively cheap, close to antelope country and you don't have to worry about hauling a lot of gear from a long ways away. Last time I stayed in a hotel in Wyoming it cost me a whopping 13 bucks a night! There were three of us in one room. I admit a shower every night after a full day of 40 mph winds is nice.

Maps of the area, and a good GPS to make sure you know where on that map you REALLY are, instead of where you THINK you are.

Can't help you much since I haven't been yet. Your just up the road from me, neighbor. Everything I have read says antelope aren't hard to kill. Alot of guys have told me they use 22-250's. I am taking a 25-06 and a 243 when I go. I also plan to chase some coyotes if the time allows. We are going to camp and hunt out of a tent. There is tons of public ground and alot if not most has antelope. I just ordered 2 blm maps for the unit I plan to hunt and it was under $10.00. I have been banking points for 5 years and have been doing alot of reading on the antelope. Let me know if I can help any more

If your going to hunt Wyoming next year you still have a week to buy a point

+1

I did my first DIY pronghorn hunt last year, I drew my third choice tag in a less popular unit, had a blast hunting with specialty pistols. I saw plenty of pronghorns and ended up killing three, all on BLM land. You can get landowner lists from Wyo. Game & Fish but really no need. A couple things I wouldn't want to do without are good sturdy leather gloves, knee pads and some form of shooting sticks. I camp and there isn't much luxury involved, I eat from boxes, bags or cans for the most part. Take plenty of water! Another item that is really useful is a GPS and mapping software from HuntingGPSmaps.com. If you have this software and a BLM map it's extremely hard to go wrong.

If rifle hunting I would either be there at daylight on opening day or wait a couple of weeks. I went the 2nd. week and pretty much had the unit to myself last year. This year I didn't draw and had to get leftover tags, I have a couple of other guys going with me this year and we are leaving on the 8th. well into the season. I don't expect we will have much company.

I don't know where you are in Missouri but if you want some specific suggestions on units etc. send me a PM.

Bob

In Wyoming chaptstick and a good wind breaker are the most important things after your tag, gun and ammo.
Yeah and be prepared for the weather to change. It may be nice where you are, but the highway could be closed 25 miles away.

I'd let someone know exactly where you'll be camping too.

I prefer carmex vs. chapstick.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back