Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Reloader

Heath Tedder

I have never reloaded before and want to start but I don't know anybody that reloads so I can't go to them for help so here I am I was thinking of buying a kit and if I do that what else will I need to buy like will I need sarge rifle or small rifle primers I will be reloading for a 270 a 30-06 and possibly a 30-30 what king of powder will I need to get some people have suggested IMR4350 and IMR4830 are these any good what are some good manuals and is there any sortware that I could buy that would help any help would be appreciated THANKS!!!

Heath, I'm Not a reloader, BUt I did Want to welcome you to the Board!!!

I also Wanted to Warn you about talking without takin' a breath... I see you Never used a Comma or a Period in your Sentence
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just messing with ya.... HEy, We have alot of GREAT reloaders here!!! Glad to have ya Aboard!!!!!

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Heath: First off, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, I don't reload and others may be able to help you better than me. I'll help you with what I can help you with because I have been looking into reloading myself.

There are many great kits out there to start off with. I have been looking at the Rock Chucker Master Meloading Kit. It appears to have everything you would need to start off including a reloading manual, with the exception of brass (check ebay if you don't allready have some), primers, powder, bullets, and the proper dies. Natchez often has this kit on sale at an unbeatable price of $219.95. Here's where they can be found on the web:

www.natchezss.com

and the kit can be viewed at:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-7002&category=Reloading&maxhits=20&keywords=RC09367

Hodgon recomends using the following powders for these cardridges that you listed:

.270 Winchester
----------------
H1000
H4831
H4350
H414
H380
VARGET
H4895

30-06
----------------
H4350
H414
H380
VARGET
BL-C(2)
H335
H4895
BENCHMARK

30-30 Winchester
------------------
VARGET
BL-C(2)
H335
H4895
BENCHMARK
H4198

The powder you use will vary each load. In a reloading manual you will see what powders are recomended for a given load. Remember to start with your loads low and work your way up, being sure to check for signs of too much pressure. Good luck with reloading, and let us know how your first load works out.

------------------
~Dan~

hntr_trap.gif

Heath, I do reload and welcome to Moosies Board. You can learn a lot here, I hope the first thing you learn is to go buy a good reloading manual. Not having someone aroung to help you get started is a true disadvantage. It puts you in the bucket so to speak. I would suggest a manual from either Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Hodgdon, or Lyman. The Nosler book and the Hodgdon book both have an excellent section of powdeers, bullets, and the mechanics of the how to. They talk about pressure signs, and about what not to do. I am being cautious because this is a hobby that can literally blow your head off. The first thing you need to learn is to be careful. You sometimes only get one mistake. So pick up one or two manuals and read the front chapters in them. then, come on back and we can start with some tutorials.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

I started with a Lee Loader. The darned things still cost less than $20, and include everything you need except "large rifle" primers and powder. After you get started you can decide if you want to continue. If you do I'd recommend the jump to the Lee Turret Press, it is faster than any single stage. You'll never need to readjust your dies, they'll be right there in the turret that you bought for each cartridge you load.
A warning though you'll never acquire all the accessories you need.

------------------
fox2.gif

[This message has been edited by Slamfire (edited 02-18-2001).]

Hi, Heath, and welcome to the forum. As Dannr suggested, get yourself a good reloading manual! Read the first few chapters, then c'mon back and ask some questions. Sierra has some CD-rom's available. They are at www.sierrabullets.com
A real basic word of caution here: even though the numbers may be the same, don't mix data for powders from different manufacturers: ie: Dupont's IMR-4895 and Hodgdon's H-4895, IMR-4350 and H-4350 and AA-4350, etc.
Like he said, though...read a bit first! Good luck! It's a lot of fun.

Hi Heath, welcome to Moosie's.
Like everyone above said, "Get a couple of reloading manuals and read them!" Once you get started, be careful check everything twice, never have two different powders out at one time, mark everything so you don't forget what is what and keep records so you don't forget what the marks mean. Load one case at a time, helps to keeps you from having a mix up. Look at the post in the rifle thread about the Mod 70 winchester, this kind of mistake is not needed. I haven't fired a factory round for hunting in 20 years, I enjoy reloading, it is a great hobby.
Be safe, have fun!
deadeye2

Heath,

I was in your shoes about five years ago. I had just moved to a new state, didn't know anyone who reloaded, and wanted to start.

First of all, you will not save money if you start reloading. Each round will be cheaper, yes, but you will shoot a lot more. If you want to become truly proficient with your firearms, and make shooting as much of a hobby as hunting, then by all means, you pretty much have to reload.

I bought the Rockchucker kit, and read the enclosed Speer reloading manual two or three times before I even tried to load up some ammo. I started with the easiest thing to load, which is practice .38 cartridges using small charges of Bullseye. Once I had things pretty much figured out, I started delving into rifle loads.

I have found that one of the most helpful books for me was Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Third Edition, by M.L. McPherson. It has comprehensive load data compiled from all bullet and powder manufacturer's books. It has great tips for basic and advanced loading techniques.

Using this and the Speer book, I got started, and haven't looked back yet. I've loaded literally thousands of rounds, for eight different calibers of rifle and handgun, and no major incidents yet. I have since acquired load data from all the powder manufacturers, (most of them give it away in small pamphlets) and the Hornady, Lyman, and Sierra loading manuals. Of course, I double and triple check everything before I try to make it go boom, and I keep every powder and primer in it's original package.

Safety is the biggest issue to me. You may not get a second chance to mess up.

If you want to give it a try, go to a local sporting goods store that stocks reloading equipment, and talk to one of the sales clerks. Odds are that either they reload, or they know several people who do who would be glad to help you. There are a few folks here who are glad to help, but it's nice to have an experienced loader nearby.

Good luck, be safe, and don't make yourself a stranger.

I can't add much more than what has already been said except read,read and read some more.The new BPS has the Lyman 47th edition for $21 or it did.Also moe than manual is also a good idea to have.The turret presses are nice,Lymans Tmag has 6 stations.The kits are great,they have what you need to get started,but then you will buy more and more stuff.At first you won't save any money,it take alot of loads before you recoope any money but it's worth it.

Also I think Pat's Gun and Pawn has some reloading stuff.There on 441 Just before you hit Leesberg on the left if heading North.

Also find someone that reloads to show you hands on stuff,like me.Your not too far,I will glad help out anyway I can.

Also if things work out I will be heading to the Ocala range to try out some new loads early Sunday morning,maybe you can join me.

Hey Heath, I wonder if you asked nicely, if Shane would maybe invite you over for a loading session? Sounds like you two live within spittin' distance of each other. That would put you in touch with someone that loads and could give you some great tips. What do you think?
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Yepper any time we both have a chance I would be than happy to have Heath or at his home,doesn't matter.My bench is portable.

So Heath if you wanna give it a try let me know.Shoot me an email. BTW I already load for 30.06 and a few others.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back