New Mexico Unit 30 youth hunt

midwesthunter

My 13 year old drew this tag this year, its his first mule deer tag. I have never hunted in NM before, and don't know a whole lot about this unit. I have a long time to make a hunting plan but was looking to see if anyone has any first hand experience in this unit? Its last week in Nov, will they be starting to chase does yet?

So far planning on truck camping as traditionally the weather doesn't look to bad. How are the roads in this unit?

Feel free to PM me with any info, thanks in advance.

There's no shortage of public land. Ive had a lot of friends hunt barbary sheep in this unit but haven't been down there myself.

I've hunted 30 before for deer and Barbary sheep. Good road system, plenty of public land.

Roads are well maintained for the most part. I'm out in that unit almost every day for work. There is some nice bucks out there.

The buck laying down was Oct. 2019 and the other this year in Jan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200507-171440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200507-171440_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20200507-171644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200507-171644_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
I enjoy the northwest end of the unit...roads are OK and fewer people...just get high and glass at first and last light...and cruise the roads in the open area until you spot does and a buck could be around that time of year...water is at the Forest Service admin center in Queens. We say it looks similar to the hill country of Texas

I drew this tag for the second rifle season this year. Did you run into any roads up in that NW area that were inaccessible by vehicle? We will be taking a Polaris but didnt know if that was necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back