New mexico exotics

The otc ibex is perty much a waste of time I here... The otc Barbary sheep is worth it I think if you have time to hunt hard

i had the Barbary Sheep tag southwest of Roswell and didn't due the tag justice. Unit 32 or 36 i think. I was only there for 3 or 4 days. Lot of fun but only saw some young ones. Wish i could draw the tag again and i would give myself 10 days. Saw lots of other hunters but followed the public land fingers out to the end and only a few hunters willing to hike out there. Of course on private land i could see some monsters but they had no interest in leaving their safe zone. Good luck.

Barbary is not a bad way to go. There is a year long OTC outside Alamogordo you can do. I would go there on free weekends and 'hike' around with optics and my rifle. They are very hard to spot at first. Good optics are a must! My recommendation: Find the canyons that have plateaus near the mouth that you can hike up onto and glass back into the canyon. On my 4th visit I found this guy just a couple hundred feet above me. It can be a tough hunt, but it will sharpen your glassing, hiking, and scouting skills.

Attachments

• 20181112_123300.jpg
    20181112_123300.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Barbary is not a bad way to go. There is a year long OTC outside Alamogordo you can do. I would go there on free weekends and 'hike' around with optics and my rifle. They are very hard to spot at first. Good optics are a must! My recommendation: Find the canyons that have plateaus near the mouth that you can hike up onto and glass back into the canyon. On my 4th visit I found this guy just a couple hundred feet above me. It can be a tough hunt, but it will sharpen your glassing, hiking, and scouting skills.
Your tempting me to go try my hand at Barbary sheep otc.... But man I'm so busy already

So I'm new in new mexico and didn't draw any elk or deer, and was wondering if anyone on here had hunted barbary sheep or the otc ibex?
There are lots of youtube videos on ibex in the floridas. I'd watch those before you put in. Definitely a commitment and not something you want to squander if you draw.

Back