Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New member from SD

SDLorax

Hello everyone - I joined the forum a few weeks ago.

I grew up in MW Minnesota learning to hunt mostly by myself as my dad isn't much of a hunter. My grandpa would take me up to our family cabin and I would walk the woods by myself chasing ruffed grouse. My uncle helped me get set up with a recurve bow when I was 14. I practiced and hunted by myself and killed my first ever deer with that recurve at 16. That pretty much sealed the deal for me becoming a dedicated archery hunter.

I live in southeast South Dakota now with my family (wife and kids). After two falls of fighting the public land hunting in eastern SD for deer (trail cams stolen, getting shot at, pheasant hunters not caring that your in hunting, you name it), I've decided that I am going to focus more on western type hunts. This year (just a few weeks) will be my first elk hunt and I'm jumping in head first. I'm doing 14 days of backpack archery hunting in Colorado.

I have been doing tons of research, went on a scouting trip, and feel confident that I'll have a good opportunity at an elk this year. I am hoping to learn as much as I can on this forum and elsewhere online so I can become familiar with the western states tag systems and make it out for mule deer, elk, and hopefully some day sheep and goats all with my bow and all public land too. I don't know how realistic that is, but those are the goals right now.

I am a consulting arborist by trade, so if you need tree care advice I can sure help.

Welcome aboard. I am in Marion, 20 miles to the west of you. You are in the right place for info on western/public land hunting! I have been on three public land archery elk hunts in Co, and all due to the help I got here and the confidence I built reading this forum. If I can help, let me know.

Welcome, I'm just 20 miles north in the big city. Don't love it but it is home. Good luck on your hunts this year. Post some pics.

Back