Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New guy from Central Coast, CA

Since your 308 is a little heavier than one would want to hike around with you probably will want to buy another hunting rifle. Nothing wrong with buying more guns. Since we live in California finding non toxic ammo is not easy for some calibers. Not sure how difficult buying ammo for that 257 Weatherby would be but even if you can find it expect to pay around $75-100 per box. Spending $200 for a day at the range gets old and the Weatherby shooters I know just don't do it any more. One reason I shoot a 7 mag is it is one of the easiest magnums to find ammo for but I also like the 7 mag. For California residents that do not handload I recommend staying with calibers that the local stores stock ammo for. You might talk to one of your local gun shops and see about ordering ammo once you decide on a new rifle. You might find you can do better than I have been able to do in this area. A 257 is a good deer gun if you can find ammo it likes at a price you are willing to pay.
For magnums the 7mm Rem mag as well as the 300 Win mag are probably the most common.

Last edited:
Just joined HT so a little late on this thread, but a buddy of mine just got chased out of sandspit by a whitey. It's been a sharky winter

Many years ago I was surfing Refugio (storm surf) and an Orca swam right underneath me, I freaked. A large school of Anchovies came by with a school of Makeral chasing them and an Orca chasing the Mackeral.

I never got much farther north than Gaviota.

I hunted that general area as often as I could. Mostly inland near Cachuma and Santa Ynez.

You don't need a lighter rifle you need more muscle. :)

Wow what an experience! That would scare the crap out of me too but still in a way super cool! I'm going to to scout out some of Santa Ynez soon and see what it offers. Prob do some lunges to prep ;)

Back