Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Gun

Bambistew,
It wasn't the first elk i've killed with the 7 mag but it will probably be the last. There are countless variables that probably lead for the bull running off(up hill no less, farther to pack the damn basty out ;) ). I was using Winchester fail safes and really liked the bullet every other time I used it. It just seemed like that every bullet zipped through the bull. My first two shots were right into the lungs. I usually try to break the shoulder on the first shot but I didn't want to waste any meat. I couldn't believe it when he started to run uphill. What finally stopped him was putting one into the spine. Elk are defiently tough critters. I would use my 7 mag on elk this fall if I had to, but i got a .300 weatherby as a gift in November so i'd be foolish not to use it on elk this fall hehehehe. Maybe i should just cut the BS and just get a 30-378. I heard that you can't kill an elk without at least a .300 these days.

:D

Steiny - I see your BS and raise you:

Quote: I'll have to call BS on Calif Hunter's notion that you are good for everything except big grizz or brown bear. I've got an 8'-8" brown bear at the taxidermist, killed last May in Alaska that say's different.

Quote: 220 Grain Hornady round nose worked fine.

My statement, regarding a 168 gr TSX Quote: Load it over IMR-7828 with Federal Gold Medal Match Mag primers and you are good to go for anything except big grizzlies or brownies!

I never said a .300 Wthby was not good for large bears. What I said was that I would not choose a 168 gr TSX for big bears. I would use a heavier bullet, given a choice. (Although I think a 168 gr TSX would penetrate fine, I want more mass for big bruins. Call me old-fashioned.)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back