Caribou Gear Tarp

New Barrel Break In

I don't buy into the barrel break-in theory. Have heard enough from some top shooters that it is unnecessary. I do a quick clean after purchase, shoot one shot, quick patch down the barrel (this is not to break in barrel but to attend to any minor bits left after machining. Ready to go - the 1 shot breakin.

Everyone has "their" method. While I am not a firm believer in one method is better then the next.

One thing I am a big believer in is not getting a barrel hot in the first 5 shots.

But if your looking for opinions here is mine.

I don't care if it's a cheap factory gun or a custom built rifle. I will shoot a round and clean the powder out for the first 3 rounds not letting barrel get hot. Then I run some copper cleaner through the barrel. Then depending on how much powder I am burning and what the rifle will be used for,, I will shoot 3-5 rounds. I have guns that only burn 20 grains of powder and I have guns that burn 100+ per bang. I will give it another good cleaning after that volley and then I am usually in load development mode.

Most of my guns are hunting rifles now so I only shoot 3 shot groups. I will shoot a fowler then my 3 shots and clean and repeat until I settle on a load.

Once I have a load developed I don't clean the barrel until the rifle tells me to. I have factory rifles where after about 6 shots the groups open. I have others with 200+ rounds between cleanings.

I clean after every shot for the first 10 then after every other for the next 10. I've done a ton of barrels this way and almost every time after 7 or 8 shots you start to see a really significant change in the amount of fouling. It does seem to have a relatively small effect on accuracy.

Look up every barrel manufacturer and each one has something different.

Should say plenty right there.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back