Need help

Elkhunter

In more ways than one :D
Seriously though. It will not be long before spring bear season is here. My question is about the use of calls. Should a call be used and if so what kind of call do you use?

Not saying it doesn't work........but it's not the norm. The best way is find a good bear area,.....then find them on their food sources......mostly berry patches.......as they will be gorging. When a bear or bears find a good berry patch, they will visit it consistently until it dries up.......
DS

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-21-2002 10:49: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Deerslayer... gotta ask ya this... WHAT kind of berries do these bears you know about hit in the Spring?? I gotta find me some of them spring berry patches. Am I missing something here? haha. You're killin me man. :D :D

Elkhunter... use a Wayne Carton call. They are the best.. sound like a calf elk in distress if you use it right.

The bears coming out of hibernation usually hit the first greenup... the stuff usually on little tucked away south facing slopes just as the snow melts off. I've found them mostly in stuff that actually isn't quite green yet, just sort of yellow green.

Of maybe you can find some of them spring berry patches... but in these parts... our berries ain't ready for bears until the end of summer. :D

Deerslayer , the instant expert , after two western huntin' trips . HehHehHeh . Keep it up slayer . A good laugh is always nice .

Greenie.......you guys don't have them Snowberries where your at......dang, it must suck! My favorite is the snowdingle berry.......if you can find about 3 or 4 patxches of these.........sit it for a couple of days........a fella can do real well. ;) Also, another good tactic I like because my time is alway so short is I like to combine my Spring and Fall hunts together:D

SD......you still sore about loosing the battles in poitics? :eek: DS

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-21-2002 10:40: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Almighty Deerslayer... haha. Why'd you edit your post that said them bears would be gorging themselves on berries when they came outta hibernation in the spring? HILARIOUS.

Do us a favor and change your name to BEARSLAYER... we could use a few more tricks of the trade on bear hunting from you.. along with a few giggles.

Note to self... when to read with a bag of salt... :D

I do know where to find good meaty patches of dingleberries, but I don't usually see bears eating them.. Too close to highly guarded fuzzy acorns.

Oh goody.........I guess since Bcat is "on the road"........I'm your new playmate! Goody! :D
DS

Oh come on now.. man I was just funning with you... It was funny, admit it.

Now... how to you recommend powerbugling in a bull elk in January? I have some friends that could use some pointers. Of course, the first tactic is to locate a large pile of whistleberries... you know, the wapiti favorite food source, sit there and await them to show.

What I would do is drink about 4 packs of emergen-C vitamin drink before you head out. Fill your trousers with the smelly liquidy mess that may accompany the overdose, sit tight until a bear attracted by the smell comes along. I wouldn't recommend falling asleep while waiting for the yogi. You just might wake up with your ass in its mouth.

Thanks.. fag! Now, everybody here that has NEVER shit themselves... please speak up.

I only wish you were there to share the experience with me.. I didn't know the other guys well enough to wake them up and show off. :D

Weekend Warrior............is Greenie's "shit in the pants" tactic only effective in the spring........or does it work in fall as well? :eek: .........I may have to try it.........might beat sitting on my berry patch for 6 months waiting for them berries to ripen! :rolleyes: Touche' Greenie.......you got me on that one, I'll admit it. Elky was asking about Spring bears and I was giving him fall tactics......so spank me!

Serious question though.........have you ever called one in yourself, or have you just heard of this? The reason I ask is, I have heard that it can be like rattling for deer.............sometimes you run the risk of running off anything but a big buck. Would the average bear think some large ass bear was kicking ass on something and clear out, or would he investigate? I know there is probably no clear cut answer, but I tend to go more conservative. I'm generally afraid an agressive calling sequence will do as much harm than good. I guess it makes a big difference if you've seen it work and have confidence in it.

Oh, and no power bugling here. I will bugle to locate in Sept bow season.........but then get real reserved and resort to low cow calling......timid, timid, timid......
DS

Good question Elkhunter,I want to get a bear real bad.
Steve said we could but he wasnt going to bait.So much for easy for me LOL
I had pictures running through my head of HIM doing all the baiting and me doing all the sitting in the stand and shooting :D
He is dead set on calling or spot & stalk.
Any info on the calling would be great.
OR with weekend & greenhorns tip I could mix up some good old choc. chip cookies for Steve (but slip in some XLAX and Hmmmmmm there might be something to this smell thing.
(But thats only funny when your NOT the one doing the laundry )
:eek:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back