ND Deer Video

mrmedora

Hey fellas,

Brother and I were unsuccessful on our draw here in ND, so we came up with another way to drum up some excitement for the 2013 Gun season in ND. We decided to pick up a couple of the left-over doe licenses and video it! Now keep in mind that we can hardly run a video camera at B-day parties and family reunions, so videoing a hunt should be interesting. Anyway, thought I'd share how we are hoping to make lemonade out of the fact we didn't draw our first choice.

Good luck fellas, Scott

Scott,

A few words of advice based on my vast experience of being a crappy cameraman:

Rule #1 - Make sure to use a tripod at all times! It'll prevent people from thinking you had a serious case of the "shakes" when filming a morning hunt!

Rule #2 - Have your video camera set to the highest picture quality possible, so it looks like you knew what you were doing if you pull it off!

Rule #3 - Bring an extra battery, that's fully charged! Those darn things always go dead just about the time you pull the trigger!

Rule #4 - Make sure the time/date is set right so 50 people don't remind you that it's off.

PS - Spend another $20 on a bow tag and started filming this Friday!

Tripod, tripod, tripod.

Do not over-use the zoom on your camera. It reduces picture quality significantly and it results in a shaky image in even the slightest wind.

Try to get as good of audio as possible to go with your video. Bad audio usually results in sub-part video.

Do not pan back and forth. Get on the object, let it walk across your screen, then move again, letting it walk into frame, then back out of frame.

Awesome advise guys. Quality will be a bonus for us. I feel that all the successful hunts we have gone on will pale in comparison to the satisfaction/entertainment value we will get out of this one. No matter if we harvest one or not, this will be a hunt we will never forget!! Can't wait!

MDJ- you bet I'll be out this weekend with the bow, but will be a solo mission. You headed out too? Good Luck!

Scott,
PS - Spend another $20 on a bow tag and started filming this Friday!

I'm hoping to be out sometime during the first week but looks like it will be kinda hot for the opening weekend. I have seen a few nice ND mule deer while out working hoping to get some good footage and stick a nice velvet buck here next week.

Back