Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mystery Ranch Metcalf Question

HighDesertSage

I got a new Mystery Ranch Metcalf yesterday and so far I am very happy with it. I am hoping to hit the hills tomorrow. But anyways I have two questions I am wondering if someone can help me with. 1) How can I attach a holster to the hipbelt, and 2) what are the extra 6 buckles for where the top of the shoulder straps attach to the frame? Thanks everyone.

Kifaru makes a molle panel for attaching a standard belt holster, or you could get something like a serpa holster, depending on your handgun. Without pics, I'm not sure which buckles you are talking about... You have accessory buckles, buckles for the load leveler and/or lift kit, buckles for the alpine lid, etc.

The two straps on the outer edges were used for attaching the lid pre metcalf days. You can still use them if the frame is used with lid and without the metcalf bag. The two buckles on each side of the handle are used when not using the lift kit. 2 facing forward are for shoulder straps and 2 facing rearward for attaching extra lashing point.
I've been thinking about taking a pair of scissors to mine and getting rid of all the extra noisy buckles.

With the lift kit you can totally hack a set of those extra buckles on either side of the frame handle off. You can always get the "clip on" female buckles later if you want them.

Only reason to leave on the other set is if you would run the frame without the lift kit to cut down on frame height, then your load lifter straps would need those buckles to connect to.

I don't have a holster on mine, but Kifaru adapter mentioned looks like the ticket. http://www.kifaru.net/holsters.html

Once you have your frame adjusted, check 80 lbs in there - at that weight, you'll know for sure if you are dialed or if you need to make some small yoke adjustments.

Back