MYSTERY RANCH BACK PAIN IN LUMBAR REGION

freu1chr

I posted on here last year about getting lower back pain when i took off my mystery ranch marshall with a guide lite frame when it is loaded with 50 pounds. It is happening again this year and I have tried refitting it multiple times and each time I end up with pain in my lower back right in the lumbar region. Is there something that would cause this that i am not doing with he pack. Should i have the pack riding higher on my back or lower on my back if this is happening? Or would this be because I am not use to having a pack on? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Is that the only time you ever get pain? It might be changing the shape of your spine slightly while wearing it and a disk is pinching.

Shooting pain? Sore back pain? Localized sharp pain? What we talking here?

It may be muscle tightness causing the lumbar to tighten up. I’d try stretching hip flexors and glutes. Getting them to relax can allow the back calm down.

Thanks for some info guys. Its a sore pain in the muscles on both sides of my spine almost like i picked up something heavy off the floor and did not use my legs. I had my neighbor who is in the army take a look at my pack while i was wearing it and he said it looked awesome on me. he was thinking that it was my back as well. I just looked up the muscle that is hurting and it is called the latissimus dorsi if that makes sense to anyone.

Last edited:
There are back supports that help keep the spine aligned. I have worn one on long hikes with heavy packs since I hit mid-50s. Zero lower back issues when have on the support. My issue was I would take a stumble and my core strength could not keep the pack steady over the center of my spine so would jam up or pinch something then my right leg would go weak and lower back would stiffen.

Here is an example of a support but mine is a bit different:

Had a simular problem years ago with orginial kuius. I used the extra foam spacer for lumbar and reduced it tremendously. I think pack maxed out was just tiny bit short for my torso. Now i have there xlong frame that they started making few years back and not once since i started using it has it happened. Try adjusting frame length a 1/2-1" more or over length, see if it helps. Cheap and easy to try

If you aren't training with your pack on, I think your body isn't used to the extra weight. I had the same problem when I first got my Metcalf. The pain stopped after a few weeks of wearing it with an increasing amount of weight.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. i stretched my lats and hips this morning before putting the pack on for a 30 minute walk and i had no pain or issues today. thanks for all your help.

I cannot recommend highly enough that you get in front of a physical therapist, chiropractor, or someone else familiar with spine issues and have them look at you while you wear your pack. I know it can be pricy to get an appointment, but I've learned the hard way that being proactive about taking care of your spine with save you $$$$$$$$$$ in the long run.

Also, +1 for stretching your hips -- and don't forget your hamstrings and lumbar muscles worth in concert with each other. Tight hamstrings make your lumbar work harder to support the load, and vice-versa.

Good luck. Back issues suuuuucccccck.

Funny I had the exact same issue with my marshall. I had to adjust the support on one side of the lumbar pad. Previously i have had extreme spine issues luckily I was just barely able to avoid surgery only After nine months of physical therapy. At different points my legs were 2" difference in length. Stretch them glutes boys.
Anywho after I made the adjustment on the pack it was much more comfortable.

This past October I harvested my first bull. I have a MR Pintler. I was worried about carrying the load out. I carried the head and rack out with a little work and I'm short so the rack kept hitting the ground. The second load was 85lbs of tenderloins, backstraps and other meat. The load was heavy. I had my pack fitted correctly and kept the belt tight the load straps tight and the load centered on my back. I had a 1 1/2 mile pack put and mostly downhill. It was a drudge and I had to stop several times and take a break, but made it out. I have a wonky back and I thought it was in trouble. It turned out better than I could have expected. Fitment and load management and positioning are the key. Ill be in better shape before next season. Good luck.

blacksheep

Would the OV innovation MEAN pad help in this situation? I’m having similar back issues and seeing a chiropractor, learning stretches, etc. But I seen where the pad could help in the lumbar region.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back