Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mule deer/whitetail hybrids

An area I trap has a lot of bucks without a split on their G2. They all have whitetail configured antlers. Its a very common trait in this range. This is in Southern Nevada. No whitetail anywhere near us.IMG_1386.JPG

Last edited:
whitetail antler configuration has absolutely nothing to do if its a hybrid mule deer at all. Everything in that pic you posted shows nothing that its a hybrid, and everything about it screams mule deer. That bio must of been drunk

No I dont have either. Sorry. Just going on what the guy told me. He said that he had not seen a mule deer like this in a very long time.
Did this biologist look at anything besides his rack? Of all the physical identifying characteristics, the antlers aren't simply the worst... they're useless as a hybrid identifier. However the tails on a hybrid are usually very unique. As well as possessing noticably differing ears in a lot of cases...as hybrids ears aren't nearly as big as the 9.5 inch standard mule deer ear size (or 3/4 the length of the face if field judging), but aren't as small as the whitetail ears. BUT the only way to truly, 100%, tell (without busting out the microscope) ...is by putting a tape measure to the metatarsal gland.

Judging from what I see in your picture, it's 100% a Muley...and I don't even have a bit of doubt based on what I've seen. I know the Biologist said what he said...but if he was only going off antlers (wh8ch it seems like he was), he's simply not educated on the matter. Which is really not a crazy thought, or insult... especially for an older biologist. Because hybrids were basically never heard of in the old days, so an OG biologist wouldn't of ever received any education on the matter. It wasn't until the two species really started to have overlapping ranges, and consistently shared habitat...and started fraternizing regularly. There was a time this wasn't really an issue.

AWESOME DEER THOUGH!!! Friggin STUD for sure!!

(Check out the tails on the pictured hybrids I've included)

Attachments

• How-Often-do-Whitetail-and-Mule-Deer-Hybridize-2.jpg
    How-Often-do-Whitetail-and-Mule-Deer-Hybridize-2.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 32
  • HYBRID-Whitetail-Mule-hybrids-often-are-identified-by-the-tail-1024x732~2.png
    HYBRID-Whitetail-Mule-hybrids-often-are-identified-by-the-tail-1024x732~2.png
    782.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Whitetail-Mule-Deer-Hybrid-415-432-59.jpg
    Whitetail-Mule-Deer-Hybrid-415-432-59.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals