Yeti GOBOX Collection

Mounting scope to rifle?

I think using aluminum for scope rings or bases is a bad idea. The recommended torque settings for steel rings are higher. There is a reason for that. Hopefully, you never have to drill and tap a base screw out of a receiver. It will ruin your day. Burris and Leupold have been around along time. They know which rings are best for their scopes. Simple and bomb proof come to mind. Just some food for thought spiced with some opionion is all. 😁

I thought someone mentioned the Tikka T3x comes with the ring bases already installed. Is this correct?

If so, I would only need the rings right? I assume I would need Tikka's rings then because of their proprietary "Sako Optilock" system?

To the OP, Rings and bases will set you back probably around $60, give or take. Very often, if you buy the gun and scope at the same place, they will mount the scope for you. I have mounted all my own, but I would recommend anyone who is inexperienced to have the scope mounted by the shop or a gunsmith. The latter would likely be $25 or so. Worth it to have it done correctly IMO.

I thought someone mentioned the Tikka T3x comes with the ring bases already installed. Is this correct?

If so, I would only need the rings right? I assume I would need Tikka's rings then because of their proprietary "Sako Optilock" system?
The base for the rings is a dove tail rail machined into the receiver that you attach the rings to. Various brands of rings specifically designed for that tikka rail. You can put bases on top of the rail or buy just the rings that are made to fit the rail. I used the Burris rings made for the Tikka rail.

The T3X does not come with scope rings. Only the older T3 came with rings.

The T3X does not come with scope rings. Only the older T3 came with rings.

Ah thanks. So yeah, looks like I will need the base and the rings then to fit on the standard Tikka rail.

But I assume it also depends on my size of scope because there are a bunch of different rings too.

I'm looking at a Leopold VX-3i, 4.5-14, 40mm Duplex, to attach to a Tikka T3x.

Alternatively, a Vortex Viper HS, 4-16, 44mm (dont know the diffs between deadhold or vplex yet).

What base/rings would you recommend for these size scopes? Thanks.

I have a t3 superlite in 30-06 and had a t3 lite in 300wm. I used the Talley’s on the 06 with no issues and had a DNZ on the 300 with no issues. I have mounted up a few other for people also. My uncle uses the mountain tactical picatinney base with leupold rings and it’s solid also. Just a little loctite on the base screws and torque it all down to specs and you should not have any issues whatever you decide. I have had both scopes, I prefer the leupold, it sits in Talley lightweights at medium height I believe. Great combo in my opinion. Talk to schmalts if you decide to go with the leupold. I found it preformed much better at low light or at least to my eyes it did.

Last edited:
I have a t3 superlite in 30-06 and had a t3 lite in 300wm. I used the Talley’s on the 06 with no issues and had a DNZ on the 300 with no issues. I have mounted up a few other for people also. My uncle uses the mountain tactical picatinney base with leupold rings and it’s solid also. Just a little loctite on the base screws and torque it all down to specs and you should not have any issues whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know the weight of these different rings?

DNZ Game Reaper 1 inch LOW = 5.6oz shipping weight
Warne 4007476 1" Tikka Permanently Attached - MEDIUM Matte Rings = 5.6oz (confirmed on manufacturer website)
Talley Tikka T3 and Tikka Master Scope Mount 1" LOW = 4oz (confirmed on manufacturer website)

Last edited:
Not specifically. But having had all 3 I’m confident the warne’s are the heaviest. The Talley being the lightest but probably really close to the DNZ.

You should be ok with low rings on a scope with a 40mm objective. If you get the 44mm obj scope, you'll want mediums. I have the DNZ setup on 2 rifles, and like them very much.
One other thing to note, is that you make sure you're getting appropriately sized rings *internally*. The Viper HS is a 30mm tube, and many VX3i scopes are 30mm tubes as well.

Once you have everything you need , you should learn how to mount and bore sight your own scope. There are plenty of online videos to show you the basics. If after mounting your scope have issues then by all means seek hands on help. I remember the first scope I mounted. Holy cow I have come a long way.

Not that it matters much, but for aesthetics, should you try match the rings color to the barrel, or the scope? I'm guessing the scope?

Once you have everything you need , you should learn how to mount and bore sight your own scope. There are plenty of online videos to show you the basics. If after mounting your scope have issues then by all means seek hands on help. I remember the first scope I mounted. Holy cow I have come a long way.

First thing before tightening the rings is to bring it up to your shoulder and note if the vertical CH is canted or not and secondly to test if eye relief is adequate.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back