Mountain Performance Clothing

I picked up a pair of the ascent pants. For most of my other gear my strategy is comparable materials at a better price, not camo pattern. My goal is to have a good base set and replace as funds become available.

Based on everyone's comments and my own research, it looks like I need the following items, some of which I have:

Base layer shirt and pants
Pants
Rain pants and jacket
Light/mid weight shirt
Fleece
Heavier jacket

Feel free to comment on other necessities. A big portion of what I have now is cotton and geared towards warmer weather, as it's normally in the 50-60s during November whitetail season.
I started down the same path as you several years back. Always hunted in East TN and started making regular trips out west. I've made a lot of purchasing mistakes and blew a bunch of money going by the name or hype of the company. Luckily I've been able to pass most of those on. Here's a list of my favorites so far.

Pants: Arborwear Ascender pants (all their pants are awesome) are my #1 though heavier than Sitka, Sitka Timberlines are great and my #2. Fails: Sitka Mountain pants, FL Corrugated Guide pants, FL Obsidian pants
Jacket: Jetstream has been hard to beat and it's one of my favorite pieces. I try not to wear it deer hunting in TN and get it ripped by briars!
Base layer: Minus 33. very durable and much cheaper than "hunting" companies. They've last much 3x longer than FL. FL feels great, but all mine fell apart after a couple years or less.
Rain gear: Outdoor Research. I tried KUIU, Sitka, and FL. OR is cheaper and so far, much better in every way. I use the Foray rain jacket and pants.
Fleece: Military issued, hard to beat and not really worth the money to go fancy and spend $100 on a fleece.
Puffy: I found a Rab puffy that was last years model on sale for super cheap. It's a "technical" jacket and beats the hunting company's puffys on all specs. Paid $130 and I'm very happy with it.
Other: Outdoor Research makes a lot of good gear and clothing that I use on every hunt, working outside, and daily use. Their mittens, base layers, socks, undies, gators, all good stuff. They have lots of sales and offer lots of discounts.
Socks: Darn Tough

Last edited:
Old adage cotton kills. Synthetics stink so I personally like Marino wool for base layers. Black Ovis has good marino wool base layers. I have a couple pair of Prana Zion pants that I got from gohunt and find myself wearing them alot. I know there is dislike for Kuiu on here but find there clothing to be durable and of good quality. I watch their Outlet for sale items.

Old adage cotton kills. Synthetics stink so I personally like Marino wool for base layers. Black Ovis has good marino wool base layers. I have a couple pair of Prana Zion pants that I got from gohunt and find myself wearing them alot. I know there is dislike for Kuiu on here but find there clothing to be durable and of good quality. I watch their Outlet for sale items.
Likewise on this.

I have the Prana Zion Stretch pant in like 5 different colors and, despite them being made by a company whose niche is yoga and climbing clothing, I have found them to be incredibly durable, particularly given the price point (~$89/pair).

Also agree on Kuiu. For the materials and price point, I think they are some of the best clothing on the market, despite the cuts/fit being more slim than the offerings by most other companies.

All of this is great info. I've owned clothing from the majority of western hunting brands. For me, First Lite and Sitka are tough to beat. First lite has their base layers down. Incredible stuff. There is some awesome stuff on REI, Backcountry, Moose Jaw, and Sierra Trading post for 1/2 the cost. Especially rain gear and soft shells. In the hunting world, you are paying for the camo pattern which they will change/update 3 years after you buy. Camo can look awesome to us humans but it is absolutely needed to be successful in field? That's debatable.
Camo is made for hunters fashion, not for animals.

Marino wool against the skin for sure.
I wear Carhartt on the outside, its tuff as the country, the right color, protects against brush and rocks, and lasts forever.
Military surplus goretex in desert tan for rain, snow, or wind.
And surplus ECW Primaloft top and pants for sitting still or if it gets really cold. That mil surplus primoloft ECW is lightweight, warm as any Gucci Hunter Clothing out there, and cost $25 for each piece!

I usually go with $30 synthetic pants that dry quickly, the same pants that are lined with polar fleece for cold winter hiking.
I don't own any Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, etc.

Also look at the through-hiking forums...the folks that hike 3000 miles on the big continental trails.
For example, Darn Tough merino wool socks are a favorite with most thru hikers...they have a no questions asked,
lifetime warranty:"Our unconditional lifetime guarantee is simple. If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair. No strings. No conditions. Socks guaranteed for life."

All of this is great info. I've owned clothing from the majority of western hunting brands. For me, First Lite and Sitka are tough to beat. First lite has their base layers down. Incredible stuff. There is some awesome stuff on REI, Backcountry, Moose Jaw, and Sierra Trading post for 1/2 the cost. Especially rain gear and soft shells. In the hunting world, you are paying for the camo pattern which they will change/update 3 years after you buy. Camo can look awesome to us humans but it is absolutely needed to be successful in field? That's debatable.
It's amazing how similar all the camo patterns look during rifle season - they all seem to take on a blaze orange hue. ;)

I picked up a pair of the ascent pants. For most of my other gear my strategy is comparable materials at a better price, not camo pattern. My goal is to have a good base set and replace as funds become available.

Based on everyone's comments and my own research, it looks like I need the following items, some of which I have:

Base layer shirt and pants
Pants
Rain pants and jacket
Light/mid weight shirt
Fleece
Heavier jacket

Feel free to comment on other necessities. A big portion of what I have now is cotton and geared towards warmer weather, as it's normally in the 50-60s during November whitetail season.
Everybody has their own system that works for them, usually developed through trial and error. I am also somebody who has transitioned from eastern hunting to Montana hunting over the last 3 years. Here's what I have developed that works reasonably well for me without breaking the bank:

Base layer tops and bottoms: Mossy Oak branded stuff from Walmart. For really cold days, I add a set of running tights tops and bottoms from Eastbay that I wear under the Mossy Oak stuff

Long sleeve button-up wool or chamois shirt - usually purchased from a thrift store.

Packable down jacket - I think I paid about $20 for it at Costco. This stays in my backpack until I get to a glassing spot or another area where I plan to spend some time. When I wear it, I wear it under my outer layer.

Outer layer - Game Hide grid fleece zip-up top and pants. There is nothing really special about these. They are relatively breathable and warm. I bought mine for about $50 each at Three Bears Alaska in Butte, MT.

Orange vest- On cold days, I usually wear a fleece one as one additional layer of warmth.

Rain Jacket - I hunt the rifle season in MT, so rain really isn't a problem. Mine stays in my backpack 95% of the time, so packability was my priority. Mine is from Habit Outdoors and I think I paid about $20 for it. If I hunted a wetter climate, I might invest more, but I've been happy with this one.

Socks, gloves, neck gaiter, hats, etc. Find whatever works for you. I don't spend a ton of money on these items but I do try to find quality socks. I've found that a $10 neck gaiter provides about as much bang for the buck as any item of clothing I can wear.

As I have transitioned to western hunting, I have found my biggest challenge is finding clothes that don't leave me sweating bullets when I'm moving but will also keep me warm when I'm still. It's incredible how much heat you generate while hiking miles of rugged terrain in 0 degree weather. I don't usually carry what I'd call a "heavier jacket." I dress in multiple lighter layers and want to have warm, lightweight, packable stuff in my backpack for when I stop moving.

@AlaskaHunter what brand pants do you use. I’m gonna try some different brands for this year. Saw a few I’m interested in on amazon.
I bought them at Walmart, Wrangler brand each $20 on clearance at the end of the season.

For the summer, a synthetic stretch pant made by Wrangler that is quick drying.
Quick drying is key...take out of the washer, hang for an hour and they are dry enough to wear.
In the field, damp at night, stuffed in the sleeping bag and they are completely dry by morning.

For the winter, a Wrangler fleece-lined pant that is warm down to -20F.

We camp with a pre-dawn and evening campfire every day,
so flying embers can easily burn holes in synthetics and polar fleece.
For warming up around the campfire, I wear Carhartts...embers are less likely to make them into swiss cheese.

I was looking at Sitka Mtn pants & such.
I wanted good all around hunting clothes if I was getting new,finally. For here in NM where I hunt now.
Have tons of wool,& synthetic I have collected over many years. For specific times & needs. Wool pants & tons of shirts & sweaters. Mid layers covered. I have a bin of camo I'm giving to local charity. .Plenty of down,parka & sweater.

Looked at sales & online sites I know & some new sources.

Got a "deal" on Skre gear "elk"set for a bit more than a pair of pants & maybe a layer from Sitka,etc...
Liked the camo pattern for where I am in NM and reviews.
Pants are a bit odd shaped in ass, mentioned in reviews, but I only wear camo while I'm hunting. They fit better than I thought.
I knew the base layers were a bit light & made for earlier seasons,I have that covered with some of the many merino names mentioned before.
The fit & feel of material is great on the rest,jacket,vest,pants overall. I have all bases covered now with what I can add or loose with what I already have.

Only wore them 2 times this year helping others,here at the ranch. Both days were very cold & one windy.
I came back into house the 1st time & added a layer(fleece). Had been standing around for half an hour waiting for hunter & shoulders got cold.
The 2nd time I went and just wore my berber/windshear set over the Skre set. Warm & comfortable,below zero in dark & wind. I'd wear other merino later seasons too. Add midlayers.

I have yet to wear them hunting myself, away from home. But for Oct./Nov. when I usually hunt it will work great & am happy with the Skre gear & folks that work there.

It'll be interesting how it works in Monsoon season & rain. Bet rain gear is still needed & that is last on upgrade list now. I'm using Cabella's rainsuede and like the old version better. The old(30) Gander Mtn waterfowl parka is still used,if needed.
Nothing worse than soaked denim after a monsoon storm in NM,hunting or not...........................LOL

Last edited:
I usually go with $30 synthetic pants that dry quickly, the same pants that are lined with polar fleece for cold winter hiking.
I don't own any Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, etc.

Also look at the through-hiking forums...the folks that hike 3000 miles on the big continental trails.
For example, Darn Tough merino wool socks are a favorite with most thru hikers...they have a no questions asked,
lifetime warranty:"Our unconditional lifetime guarantee is simple. If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair. No strings. No conditions. Socks guaranteed for life."
Darn Tough sox - awesome! The warranty is the best in the industry. I returned a pair of heavy weight boot socks and they e-mailed me a coupon to use in their online store. I do own some Kuiu gear and it is excellent. I only have one pair of pants and a jacket. The rest of my stay-warm gear is either Army surplus or some equivalent gear I found on sale. Yep, no need to buy $2000 worth of name brand clothes - the elk don't care what you're wearing!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back