More WA birds a'fallin

SneakyJake

sTom06.jpg

2Tom062.jpg

Good hunt in the Collvile/Chewelah area this year. Not a typical season though. We think the birds started a month early and then the Toms got back together and hung out in groups. Had a hard time roosting at night. Not for lack of birds, you just had to luck on the pack of Toms in the area. Opening morning had the four of us without birds. We couldn't get an answer with the wind and snow the night before and they just weren't there in the morning. Figured it was a bust. We picked up and moved deep into the canyon. I got an answer from a 1/4 mile away. We went in, two groups of two and set up a 200 yards from each other, put up dekes and started the competition. During the half hour of talking to each other, the birds moved all around. A coyote came in on my decoys at 17 yards, had to think twice. Next gobbles came heart pounding close. Five big boys came straight up the skidder trail right at us. I was calling for my dad so I let him take his own shot. My dad rolled the biggest Tom and I waited to see what was going to happen. The Tom got to his feet, shook his head off and flew. After the feathers cleared, there was a lone Jake standing, so I popped him. Sometimes that happens. Dad still gets to keep his memory and a few feathers for his hat.

We called in dozens of birds each day over a six day period. It snowed on us every day and when it was done snowing, the sun would bake us. One of the more fun years that I can remember. My dad and two buddies all called in their first gobblers this year after I kicked them out of the nest. I told them you gotto learn sometime, go make your own mistakes, and they did. But they had a good time doing it. One the second day all had one answering over a half mile away. I couldn't pinpoint it so I drove to the other side of the canyon. Same thing. I could faintly hear the gobble. I dropped everything but the gun and headed into the woods after him. A half an hour later I crow called and the bugger gobbled about 20 yards from me. I hit the gound and called softly and he spit and drummed right into my lap. I even had a misfire on the first shell (dented the primer and all!). I jacked anthor shell in the gun and he stood nice and tall as I rose from the ground to get the second shot off. What a hunt!

Sneakyjake canyon treated us good this year. I think we educated the birds enough that next year won't even come close.

Attachments

• #1Tom06.jpg
    #1Tom06.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Farm.jpg
    Farm.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 57
Back