Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

More WA birds a'fallin

SneakyJake

Good hunt in the Collvile/Chewelah area this year. Not a typical season though. We think the birds started a month early and then the Toms got back together and hung out in groups. Had a hard time roosting at night. Not for lack of birds, you just had to luck on the pack of Toms in the area. Opening morning had the four of us without birds. We couldn't get an answer with the wind and snow the night before and they just weren't there in the morning. Figured it was a bust. We picked up and moved deep into the canyon. I got an answer from a 1/4 mile away. We went in, two groups of two and set up a 200 yards from each other, put up dekes and started the competition. During the half hour of talking to each other, the birds moved all around. A coyote came in on my decoys at 17 yards, had to think twice. Next gobbles came heart pounding close. Five big boys came straight up the skidder trail right at us. I was calling for my dad so I let him take his own shot. My dad rolled the biggest Tom and I waited to see what was going to happen. The Tom got to his feet, shook his head off and flew. After the feathers cleared, there was a lone Jake standing, so I popped him. Sometimes that happens. Dad still gets to keep his memory and a few feathers for his hat.
attachment.php

We called in dozens of birds each day over a six day period. It snowed on us every day and when it was done snowing, the sun would bake us. One of the more fun years that I can remember. My dad and two buddies all called in their first gobblers this year after I kicked them out of the nest. I told them you gotto learn sometime, go make your own mistakes, and they did. But they had a good time doing it. One the second day all had one answering over a half mile away. I couldn't pinpoint it so I drove to the other side of the canyon. Same thing. I could faintly hear the gobble. I dropped everything but the gun and headed into the woods after him. A half an hour later I crow called and the bugger gobbled about 20 yards from me. I hit the gound and called softly and he spit and drummed right into my lap. I even had a misfire on the first shell (dented the primer and all!). I jacked anthor shell in the gun and he stood nice and tall as I rose from the ground to get the second shot off. What a hunt!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sneakyjake canyon treated us good this year. I think we educated the birds enough that next year won't even come close.

Attachments

• #1Tom06.jpg
    #1Tom06.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 268
  • #2Tom06#2.jpg
    #2Tom06#2.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 295
  • sTom06.jpg
    sTom06.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Farm.jpg
    Farm.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 240
Congrats Jeff, It was great to talk to you the other day and share stories of past hunts. I would love to get up this year, but just dont think its going to happen. Maybe we can do the hunt in ca. on the land up north next year? And dont forget about the Alaska fishing trip ! That would be a blast to say the least. Kevin is sending me pics of last years hunt and I will share them with you when they get here. Keep it in the air, and will talk to you later.

We will put something together. Just let me know when you can make it back up again. If not, maybe we will start early in CA next year. I will send you a drumstick to chew on if you need it.

Yep... fifth year in a row I didn't get a turkey. And thank God the season is over.

Never seen, or heard, a tom turkey (that I know of). And I am not sure I'd even know the difference (between a hen, a tom, or a jake).

Next year, when they ask me if I want a free turkey tag, I'll say "NO THANKS!".

I'm finished, I'm done, I quit, I HATE turkeys, and I HATE turkey hunting even MORE!!!

Krusty
wave1.gif

Krusty, Hey havent seen you on here in awhile. See you should have came out with Kevin and I a few years ago when we invited you.... Sorry to hear you had a rotten year. At least you got to go out... Im in Kalifornication and havent had any time to get out.... So at least your 1 up on me there. Dont give it up yet... there is still time. First if your not hearing birds, you gotta find a different spot all together....

Cameron,

I don't remember any invitation? I remember begging for help, only to be told "new guys, like me, were ruining turkey hunting". |oo

There is no more time, the season is over.

I hunted many different places this year, about 22 hard days in all.
Pe El, Capitol Forest, and Promised Land, on the peninsula.
Black Diamond, Enumclaw, Skookumchuck, Rochester, and Porter, for the I-5 corridor.
Cle Elum, Roslyn, Teanaway, Taenum, Elk Heights, Manastash Ridge, and Peoh Point for the near east.
Kettle Falls, Colleville, Cusik, Newport, Ruby Creek, Tacoma Divide, 49°, Chewela, Hunters, and Fruitland for the far east.

Never saw a bird, a turd, or a track.

I dunno where else to try? Or why to bother... it's NOT fun.

Krusty
wave1.gif

Pe El, Capitol Forest, and Promised Land, on the peninsula.
Black Diamond, Enumclaw, Skookumchuck, Rochester, and Porter, for the I-5 corridor.
Cle Elum, Roslyn, Teanaway, Taenum, Elk Heights, Manastash Ridge, and Peoh Point for the near east.

I'm no Turkey expert, but you probably should have skipped the above areas and just concentrated on the Colville/Kettle Falls area from what I've heard.

So you hunted Rochester? Must have been Scatter Creek.....or private land somewhere. I haven't seen any Turkeys around Rochester (at least not feathered ones.

Looks like you covered a bunch of nice cuntry though.

Curly,

I can't hunt the northeast corner of the state, still get in half a days work, and sleep in my own bed.

The three days I spent in the northeast, I saw more private land than anywhere else. The Land of NO. No Hunting, No Shooting, No Tresspassing, NO!
Going all the way over there was a HUGE waste of my time, and an even bigger frustration.
I don't appreciate being marched off (unmarked) private property AT GUNPOINT... there's one fat old farmer in Chewelah, that's lucky to be alive today... you draw down on me, and my first instinct is to KILL you!

It wasn't Scatter Creek, or private land, it was another area under control of the WDFW, where I had to boat in.
Another hunter killed a bird that day, so there was at least one turkey there.

I tried to hunt in places "ordinary people" reported seeing turkeys, because that's all I got.

I did cover some awesome country, found a half dozen shed anlters, some morel spots, and some new places to call predators.
Next year I'll cover more ground, find more antlers, and have a better time not wasting any of it on turkeys that don't exist.

Washington Hunter,

Good! That solves my whole problem.

I hope they won't be using any more of my small game license money, to waste it on turkeys now, too.
I certainly never felt like I got my money's worth, so far.

Krusty
wave1.gif

Krusty, ya man about 2 or 3 years ago Kevin and I said you could come with us. But you had to work and such. You covered some good ground in the NE corner that should have produced some sign in the least. I have hunted the penisula and didnt care for it much. Easterns seam to be quite there. If you can get back down to Pe Elle. I can tell you a good place that holds or held some easterns. Just be on the look out for puddytats. If you get back to the NE side get away from private land. You are not going to get anywhere there unless you have put in alot of time to get to know some of the land owners. It can happen, we have done it with success. Your best bet is to get into blm, or national forest land. Which there is plenty of there. The biggest thing is water. Turkeys gotta drink. Keep in mind that not all water will hold turkeys though. Some times they are low and some times they are high. You just have to find their happy spot. I dont know that I will be there next year or not. I would like to say that I will. But if I am maybe you can join up with Kevin, Jeff, or I and we can get you going. Keep an open mind though.

SneakyJake, Awesome hunting !!!! Thanx for the Pics.

Krusty, the good news is you're not bitter at sucking at hunting :D :D

Cameron,

Two or three years ago, I didn't have a car. I probably didn't feel like riding my bicycle to Kettle Falls, or losing my job. Turkey hunting wasn't that important.

Thanks anyways, for the advice, but I'm done.

Wild turkey poults are $8.40 apiece, if I ever care to kill one, I'll mail order it and raise it myself.
That would be time and money, better spent, in my opinion (but still a waste, when they have perfectly good domestic ones, at the grocery store, for $20).

Moosie,

I'm not bitter that I suck (at hunting).
I am bitter that my state wastes huge amounts of money funding a wild turkey program (very poorly).
I'm bitter that the NWTF (membership I bought), and it's promotional lies about "hunters helping hunters" are nothing but a joke (played on me). THAT was money well spent... NOT! (*if I was 12 I could be in JAKES, but I'm old so screw me?)

I am bummed out, at the speed at which we are losing lands to hunt, both public and private. I could not get into my own honey hole (public) this year because of "elk closures" (that closed about a quarter million acres that have never EVER been closed before, except for by fire)... they had to build a bunch of new gates to do it (with my elk tag permit money).

I'm frustrated that I sucked at turkey hunting. But I'll get over it.

Krusty
wave1.gif

P.S. It was a very late spring. Much of the public lands (east and west) are still snowed in, and our own private property (just north of Ruby Creek) was inaccessable too.
I'm not the only one who got his ass kicked out there.

Krusty, I think that we were talking about picking you up or something like that... It was on the tacoma board. Any ways You said that your state wastes $ on turkey programs. Let me say this, NO IT DOESNT. Any amount of $ spent on habitat, trap and transfer, research, or education is NOT a waste. Hunters Helping Hunters is just that. Sorry that you didnt find the fellow hunter that was able to take you to the NE part of the state and help you in harvesting your bird. I know that many of us have helped other hunters with as little as telling them where some nice turkey numbers were. Or as much as setting up a web page and sharing info. Hell, Kevin and I have spent a lot $ in helping each other and our friends out. What do you think that Money that you wasted on your NWTF membership goes for? How about the purchase of federal and state lands for hunting preserves? Your local NWTF chapter makes the soul decission as to where the money raised with Hunting Hearitage Banquets goes. Its one of the only groups that is not told how much to send to national. I think that PAPA MOOSE summed it up, The good news is your not bitter about sucking at hunting. Sorry if you think I am Bagging you. But dont Bag the NWTF. I have nothing but respect for what we do at the NWTF. Now granted there have some things that maybe could have been done a little differently. But for the most part we are top notch. Hope you do a little more research next time.

Cameron,

If I turned down a chance to go hunting, it's because I had a more important commitment.
Try not to hold that against me. :rolleyes:

It is my OPINION that my state, and the NWTF, wasted the money they got from me. Because I don't have ANYTHING to show for that money.
I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to your's. They don't have to match.

My state is a lot bigger than the Spokane area, if they (WDFW or NWTF) have spent any money anyplace else in the recent past that's news to me.
And if the NWTF holds any lands open to hunting, they did a good job of keeping that a secret.

I never expected a fellow hunter to take me and "get me" my bird, if I did I'd hire a professional guide.
I would have liked someone to show me how to use my calls, or what a cluck a putt or a fly down cackle sounds like, or how often to make what noise... or show me the ropes a little bit.

Did YOU ever do any of that, tell me where I might go, or actually help in any way?
Or were you one of the people saying "guys like me" were ruining YOUR turkey hunting (or waterfowling).
I know which I think you were.

As far as you and your brother go, I offered to handload shotshells for you guys, I gave your brother a fair bit of money's worth of custom strikers (made by an award winning call maker), offered to trade hunts (predator for turkey), and most recently offered to build him a computer (and never even got a "no thanks").

I don't have to do any more homework than to look at all the places turkeys could live in this state, and do not.
I dunno where my money went, but I don't feel like I got what they promised... and that's not my fault.
I'm not on trial here, or at least I'm not supposed to be.|oo

Have you done your homework? Where DID my state spend this year's money? And IF I woulda given the NWTF any more of my hard earned dough, where would it have gone? What educational programs, not for women and children, did they offer?
Can you show me the real value?

Krusty
wave1.gif

Krustyklimber said:
It is my OPINION that my state, and the NWTF, wasted the money they got from me. Because I don't have ANYTHING to show for that money.

Should have taken some pictures during the hunt.

Krustyklimber said:
I would have liked someone to show me how to use my calls, or what a cluck a putt or a fly down cackle sounds like, or how often to make what noise... or show me the ropes a little bit.

The NWTF does provide all of this information, and is probably able to do so through donations like yours. Might want to check out these links.

http://www.nwtf.org/hunting_tactics.html

http://www.nwtf.org/calling_tips.html

Krusty, I dont hold it against you if you had another date or obligation. The NWTF and WDFG have spent money on turkey trap and transfers to the western and central portion of the state. It was last year that Wa. NWTF chapters paid off the debt owed. Money earned through memberships and Banquets. I guess the only reason that Kevin or I were not able to help you personaly with your calling is because you were in the southern portion and we in the north. I am sure that if we would have gotten together we could have showed you a few tactics. I think that I told you about the area in Pe Elle. Never said any one was ruining my hunting.....thats cause its way back in the woods. Sometimes someone comes through but not that often.
As for the loads, I always buy my shot shells. And the strikers, thats between you and Kevin. I was told that he had gotten some but until now wouldnt have been able to say from whom..

You name a place in Wa and I will tell you if there are turkey... But you would be surprised at how populated the state realy is... How about Pullman, Clarkston, Asoton, Pomeroy, Walla Walla, Dusty, Spangle, Reardon, Davenport, Coulee city, Water City, Lincoln, Inchelium?? Just to name a few. And if you look at your map or know these areas. You will know that there is not one ounce of green on the map. One would say B.S. because there is no forest. Guess what... There are Turkeys there. And not just a couple. And if you dont believe me go spend a day in each place, ask the locals investigate. Now how do you think they got there... NWTF members spending their hard earned money and the WDFG moving birds. And mother nature doing her work. Here is a good one too. Go to Goldendale and before you get there look for a road that is on the south east side of town.. look anywhere there and you will find scat and turkey. Also watch out for Rattle snakes !!!!

Give me a couple of days to get the distribution of funds and I will let you know. If you realy want to bitch look at Pheasants forever, or quail unlimited..just to name a few as to how much money they squander.

Not only does the money that is raised in the NWTF for habitat restoration help turkeys. It does wonders for Elk, Deer, Moose, coyotes, fox, rabbits, JUST TO NAME A FEW. Sorry man, your barking up the wrong tree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back