Caribou Gear Tarp

More Sauage Questions: Milk Powder, German Bratwurst and Spicy Italien Recipies

CG-914

Thanks to you all I made a yummy batch of Deer Breakfast Sausage Batch with Hatch Chili and Hi-Country Breakfast Sausage Seasoning. But now I have some more questions:

The last batch was yummy but a little dry and gritty after cooking, I heard that Milk Powder helps. Is that true? If so, what is a good ratio?

Also looking for fresh (no smoking or pink salt) German Bratwurst and Spicy Italien Recipies and or Seasoning blends for Wildgame/Deer.

Thank you all!

Pics from last time and as an intention getter.

IMG_7464.jpgIMG_7488.jpgIMG_7490.jpgIMG_7494.jpg

Last edited:
Go to ps seasonings website and order from there. They're products comr with recipes that are pretty much fool proof.

I use the seasonings from Butcher Packer. I make Italian and hot Italian. Instead of brats I use their fresh polish sausage. Never had a bad batch.

The last several batches of sausage and snack sticks I made had powdered milk in the recipe. I don't know what purpose it serves but it was right around 1/2 cup per 5 pounds of meat. If your end product is slightly dry, try increasing the fat ratio in your meat mixture.

Two options I use to keep my sausages moist:

Soy protein concentrate powder, sold in most butcher supply shops add it with the seasoning mix. Works well to keep things bound and moist.

Add additional fat content. For brats I only use beef fat. Usually 90/10 deer to beef fat gets me where I want to be. Never had a complaint going with that ratio, I don't like going beyond it as they get too greasy for my liking.

German Bratwurst
"Sheboygan Brat" mix. Couple different companies make a mix but I highly recommend "Haught". To get the fully experience, they must be boiled in beer and onions before browning a hot sear on the grill.

My credibility? I'm bred and born in WI.

"Sheboygan Brat" mix. Couple different companies make a mix but I highly recommend "Haught". To get the fully experience, they must be boiled in beer and onions before browning a hot sear on the grill.

Ordered that exact recipe/mix from PS Seasonings and heared great things. But I will be very critical being born and raised in Germnay before coming to the great US. But optimistic if you like them being from WI.

Last edited:
Go to ps seasonings website and order from there. They're products comr with recipes that are pretty much fool proof.
Ordered from them and looking forward to test them. Arriving Wednesday (Ordered last Monday night). Shipping forfillment not the greatest but great selection!

Ordered that exact recipe/mix from PS Seasonings and heared great things. But I will be very critical being born and raised in Germnay before coming to the great US. But optimistic if you like them being from WI.
The sheboygan mix adds a little sweet to it but the base is tradition German brat.

I think Haught just re-labels PS seasonings and sells as his own. The summer sausage seasonings are identical as far as I can tell. Plus if you ever visited the Haught store you would know that guy ain't mixing his own stuff. His main business is repairing meat processing machines and the place is a complete mess... like a bomb went off on the place.

I think Haught just re-labels PS seasonings and sells as his own. The summer sausage seasonings are identical as far as I can tell. Plus if you ever visited the Haught store you would know that guy ain't mixing his own stuff. His main business is repairing meat processing machines and the place is a complete mess... like a bomb went off on the place.
My dad is really good friends with him from his days working as the fix it guy for food processing stuff (reason why I have so much nice industrial meat processing stuff). That guys shop these days is indeed a mess. He went through some rough times and wasn't even open a lot for awhile. Back 20 years ago, he did mix some of his own stuff but not everything. His wife was always in there weighing and packaging bulk they bought but I'm not sure from where.

I have an Italian mix we used to get from him and when he wasn't able to mix those seasonings up when he wasn't really open, he did give the recipe to my dad for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back