Moose Leather

Benjamins

My wife drew a cow moose tag for this fall. I always like to do some sort of taxidermy especially for a OIL tag. If she gets one I originally thought about having the hide tanned but then I came across hairless tanning (I'm assuming this is equivalent to leather?). Has Anyone out there had the hide of a moose made into leather? Did you use the leather to make other things or display it? Is this a dumb idea? Thanks for any input!

Sounds cool it would be easy enough to reupholster some bar stools with it or something along those lines.

I have a pair of moose leather chopper mittens I bought from a women in Minnesota. Only used one season but really like them.

Yes, I have my shiras bull hide on the back of our sofa.
Luckily Rocky Mt Tanners did a good job on my hide and in good time, they are out of business now.
Ask if they split it to tan it, some have to due to tan one.

I really like these ideas. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely be searching for a place to make a few things.

I had the hide tanned from a moose we took in the BWCA of northern Minnesota in the late 1980's. I saved my half of the tanned hide for years and then had it processed into lined mittens. Our four boys especially loved this connection to the hunt and the uniqueness of moose mitts. Expensive in hindsight but the memories of the hunt are priceless and are rekindled each time I wear them. Hope this helps.

I had the hide tanned from a moose we took in the BWCA of northern Minnesota in the late 1980's. I saved my half of the tanned hide for years and then had it processed into lined mittens. Our four boys especially loved this connection to the hunt and the uniqueness of moose mitts. Expensive in hindsight but the memories of the hunt are priceless and are rekindled each time I wear them. Hope this helps.
Did you take it to Fox and Fur in Duluth to be tanned? I'm in ND so that is where I planned on bringing the hide since I can drive it there. And do you recall where you had the mittens made? I believe fox and fur will make them but not sure how they will turn out.

that is who made my jacket! really pleasant to work with.
Did you have to have the hide fleshed and salted before you brought it there or will they handle everything there? The website wasn't quite clear. But I'm really glad you guys told me about them, I make it to the cities regularly so it won't be too far put of the way.

Definitely flesh, salt and keep the hide cool. Call them for their detailed instructions. In addition to the moose hide mittens, we also had them do a "hair on" elk hide which turned out beautiful. All the best.

Did you have to have the hide fleshed and salted before you brought it there or will they handle everything there? The website wasn't quite clear. But I'm really glad you guys told me about them, I make it to the cities regularly so it won't be too far put of the way.
I just salted the hide and mailed it express to them.

I had my elk hide tanned and waiting to get another and im going to have my truck seats reupholstered
Wow, that's quite the undertaking but would look amazing. I hope you post pics when that's done.

We tanned the whole legs we brought out from Quebec. Paid a fortune and haven't done anything yet. Thinking about slippers or choppers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back