Montana Spring Bear (341, 420, 440)

E-Rock

Hey everyone!

I am looking at doing a spring bear hunt with some friends in any of the 3 units mentioned above (341, 420, 440). They look to be pretty good bear units based on numbers harvested. Now, we will be taking work off, and I know its variable, but is there a "good week" that snow starts melting/green up starts occurring in these units or when bears start becoming more active. Currently, just thinking sometime in early to May, but if most of these ranges are still snow covered then a later date would probably be better. I know its different every year.

Thanks guys!

Hey everyone!

I am looking at doing a spring bear hunt with some friends in any of the 3 units mentioned above (341, 420, 440). They look to be pretty good bear units based on numbers harvested. Now, we will be taking work off, and I know its variable, but is there a "good week" that snow starts melting/green up starts occurring in these units or when bears start becoming more active. Currently, just thinking sometime in early to May, but if most of these ranges are still snow covered then a later date would probably be better. I know its different every year.

Thanks guys!

To be honest not really. The tops of the mountains will start greening up as soon as the snow melts, there will be a ton of rotten snow in the timber, and then it will be dry on the road at the very bottom. It's kinda like that from late April to June, you just have to go into it with the expectation it will be super sloppy and that you will be post-holing for some portion of your hunt.

Hey everyone!

Thanks guys!
If your flexible I would play it by ear to see how the winter goes. Did 420 in the first week of may 2 years ago still fairly snowy and alot of roads closed. Last year I played it by ear went mid may. If I had to pick a time a long way out I would wait till mid may.

To be honest not really. The tops of the mountains will start greening up as soon as the snow melts, there will be a ton of rotten snow in the timber, and then it will be dry on the road at the very bottom. It's kinda like that from late April to June, you just have to go into it with the expectation it will be super sloppy and that you will be post-holing for some portion of your hunt.

Hey, having realistic expectations is key, thanks for the words of wisdom/advice!

If your flexible I would play it by ear to see how the winter goes. Did 420 in the first week of may 2 years ago still fairly snowy and alot of roads closed. Last year I played it by ear went mid may. If I had to pick a time a long way out I would wait till mid may.

I will probably end up playing it by ear. My buddies are some coworkers with families and kids, so they may get busy by then. But I was thinking of that mid may time frame to at least start planning and getting those dates to them to plan family stuff around.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back