Montana should get in line with Idaho

Both members of the same family. All emotions aside.
Except one was protected under that pesky ESA and one wasn’t.

One could end up back on the pesky ESA if hit hard enough and one won’t.

That’s just a warm up.

Most important is you don’t have to agree to any of it yet it still can happen.

Abstract: We captured and affixed radio collars to 80 male white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) during 1995-1997 to ascertain the wounding rate and propor-
tion of deer that die from hunter-inflicted wounds. Our study population was hunted
only with traditional archery equipment (recurve and longbows). Of the 22 deer shot by
archers, 11 were recovered by the hunter, resulting in a 50% wounding rate (deer shot
but not recovered). Only 3 (14%) of the 22 deer shot by hunters died and were not re-
covered.
Based upon demographic and harvest statistics, these estimates indicate that
approximately 4% of adult males in the population die from archery related wounds an-
nually and are never recovered.
Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeast. Assoc. Fish and Wildl. Agencies 52:244-248

Certainly they do, but more often than not the animals dies if infection at a latter date.

Not according to your own data, I'd hardly call 3 of 11 more often than not. And this is only "trad."

This is entertaining keep it up.

If you been doing this for any length of tmes you there's BS on both sides of the argument.
No matter the weapon there are folks who could use a stern lecture about their responsibility to animal's we hunt.

I ask this
Have hunting shows on TV hurt or helped the sport you love. I grew up in an era and place where you would got laughed at for packing antlers out of the mountain

Oh shit, I just remembered it's my wife's birthday

Really. Yes animals get wounded by bow hunters and rifle. Fact of hunting. Usually some very hard lessons learned. And growing up.

But rifle hunt in archery not a 6pt bull left next yr.

Not many people live by draw blood and thats it but know a few.

Leads me to this. Who sponsored the bill for kids under 12 getting bonus points. Too take that away. What a dink. Hunting in montana is Montanas future but cutting kids off at the knees is wrong.

Last edited:
Abstract: We captured and affixed radio collars to 80 male white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) during 1995-1997 to ascertain the wounding rate and propor-
tion of deer that die from hunter-inflicted wounds. Our study population was hunted
only with traditional archery equipment (recurve and longbows). Of the 22 deer shot by
archers, 11 were recovered by the hunter, resulting in a 50% wounding rate (deer shot
but not recovered). Only 3 (14%) of the 22 deer shot by hunters died and were not re-
covered.
Based upon demographic and harvest statistics, these estimates indicate that
approximately 4% of adult males in the population die from archery related wounds an-
nually and are never recovered.
Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeast. Assoc. Fish and Wildl. Agencies 52:244-248

Not according to your own data, I'd hardly call 3 of 11 more often than not. And this is only "trad."
Thanks kwyeewyk. These studies back up my anecdotal evidence from 20 years of bowhunting. The key is mortally wounded. A wound that results in the death of the animal. Keep in mind, that shot selection has been on the conservative side but thinking back, my hunting partner and I can only think of 3 instances where a critter was mortally wounded and not recovered by us. So doing the math in the last 20 years, 35-40 bow kills with 3 possible mortal wounds is a single digit non-recovery mortality. Obviously this will be different for every hunter as their shot selection and skill level will vary but still a far cry from BWALKER77's "more likely than not" statement. Critters are tough. If the arrow doesn't pierce the body cavity, that animal has a high likelihood of survival in my experience.

Really. Yes animals get wounded by bow hunters and rifle. Fact of hunting. Usually some very hard lessons learned. And growing up.

But rifle hunt in archery not a 6pt bull left next yr.

Not many people live by draw blood and thats it but know a few.

Leads me to this. Who sponsored the bill for kids under 12 getting bonus points. Too take that away. What a dink. Hunting in montana is Montanas future but cutting kids off at the knees is wrong.
I didn't get any tag handouts or bonus points when I was a kid! Those little hosers can fend for themselves. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....But I also walked uphill both ways to my hunting areas too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back