Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Molly-Molly-Molly????

josh

This has had me confused for some time now, what is the deal??
I have shot many Barnes X bullets, so when the XLC became available I tried them....Incredible difference, cut the size of my groups in half!
In the Dec. issue of shooting times, Jamison tested the effects of molly, no real big difference in accuacy...then I find out that the blueGoo on the XLC's isnt really molly. Does Barnes have a leg up in the industry, or are the tighter groups a figment of my imagination?

Josh, it's no figment. I also shot X bullets for several years then switched to the XLC's. Same result for me. Even though these aren't technically molly coated they act the same and give more velocity with the same powder charge at less pressure. I believe that the accuracy is achieved because the rifle just likes them better. I'm sure that some have probably found that their accuracy diminished with coated bullets. Kind of like why some rifles shoot different weight bullets better than others.

------------------
cros_anm.gif

Well guys, the blue goo is a lubricant that I believe contains teflon. That's what the molybdenum did. It lubricated that barrel and filled up all the little pores in the steel of the barrel. Until it ran out of pores. Then it started to build on itself. The reason that Barnes is so much behind this technology is because sales were lagging due to the fouling problems with the softer copper bullets and the accuracy problems caused by their extra length. They had to make the bullet easier to shoot and stabilze. I have never been overly fond of the Barnes X bullets and I haven't tried the XLC bullets. I guess I'm just to satisfied with Noslers to want to change. I have no intention of reducing velocity to gain accuracy and that was what was required with the X bullets. So I guess the answer to your question Josh, is that the increased accuracy is the result of increased velocity and stability in the bullet. If it works, don't mess with it. Just Enjoy it.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

[This message has been edited by danr55 (edited 01-18-2001).]

Back