Mid or late September

jryoung

Since I pulled an Elk-B tag for the unit I am going to hunt/scout for an extended weekend in September. I can go the 12th-15th or the 26th-29th, and I'm trying to decide which is better.

The moon phase for the earlier weekend is waxing from 48-81% and the latter weekend is waning from 57-29%.

I think the earlier weekend I might have less hunters, but hotter weather and the latter might catch the tail end of the rut, but the elk might be a bit pressured from the peak rut.

If these were your options, what would you do?

I'd stop worrying about it and go kill a bull!

If, if, if..............if my aunt had a set of nu#$ she'd be my uncle:D

YUP!!! FWIW.... I would go the first chance you get. 13 Sept has been a pretty lucky day for our group the last few years.

In Montana, especially central and eastern Montana, the rut goes well into October. I have planned my 2013 MT archery hunt the last week of September into the first days of October. I have no worries about the strength of the rut at this time. It will be good and the weather will be cooler.

If the earlier dates don't work for you, don't fret about the later dates. Those will be good, also.

Different areas have different rut times, the most action and fun I've had is always late September and early October. Magic times of the year.

I'd go the later date myself. They will fire up all through the month but that is prime time. Good luck!

Late it is, booked my flight this afternoon. Hopefully it will be my first elk with a bow...with just 3 mornings and 3 evenings to hunt I'd be happy with a cow it it meant notching a tag. A man's gotta eat.

I've hunted and guided in Montana for along time. usually figure the rut don't even get going until the 15th of September. Personally I prefer the later part of the season

I have a mountain goat tag but the last half of September will be dedicated solely to elk. That is when you bow hunt mt for elk.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back