Michael got a new bow

Calif. Hunter

After sitting dormant for a couple years, Michael decided it was time to start shooting a bow again. His interest was reawakened at my hunting club's 4th of July "All Sportsmen's Challenge." One of the events was archery. He has always seemed to have a knack for shooting a bow, even at 4. His little PSE was way too small - I bought it for him when he was 7 and he's 12 now. The draw length only came about 2/3 of the way back to his chin.

At the club's archery shoot last night, he was shooting a recurve and hitting the kill zone on the deer at 25 yards. So we went to Hi-Tech Archery tonight, and walked out with a Mathews Menace bow, whisker biscuit, a dozen arrows and a sight. He is not that tall, being just average for a 12-year old, but has really long arms. His bow is set at 26 inches and 35 pounds. At least he can still use his old release...

Wow - kids are expensive! :eek:

We went to the club this morning so he could try it out. The sight pins were off, of course, and the little gunsmithing screwdriver set I brought did not have the correct bit, so he had to use Kentucky windage and elevation, holding between the bottom two pins, and hold a foot or so right. He ended being able to consistently hit the kill zone of the foam deer at 20 yards, which I figured was far enough to start with. He was very happy with how much faster the arrows flew and how much easier it was to shoot accutrately than with the recurve.

He wants to use it for prairie dogs on our next trip to AZ....

I'll worry more about the local possums. Around here they prosecute for cruelty to animals for shooting possums with bows. The right tip will fix that, though. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back