Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Meopta Optoika6 Experience

Cornbread

Anybody have experience with these scopes? How well do they hold zero? Are they like a Leupold in terms of holding zero? I have a pair of Cabelas 10x42 bonus I bought 20 years ago. They were made by Meopta and rebranded by Cabelas. I found out how good the glass was out in Montana last year. Was very pleased with their clarity. Any issues with this scope, like the turrets or anything else?

I have an Optika 6 I shoot on my match rifle. Typical 'cross the course' matches are fired at 200, 300, and 600 yards and I've shot a few mid range matches at 600 yards.

Tracking and zero have been repeatable which is super important as we dial elevation up and down as we change yard lines. I only have the one season on it this year so between matches and practice I'm guessing 1000 rounds of 223.

I'm very happy with the scope and glass, and just ordered a second one from @schmalts yesterday.

Thinking of one for a .338 win mag. Much much more recoil. That's why I was wondering. I may put it on a .25-06 in a pinch. Just debating now

Take this with a grain of salt because I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but over on Rokslide is a guy called Formidilosus that is doing some stress tests on optics. A surprising number of scopes don't pass his tests. Obviously they are trends of 1 so they are hardly statistically significant but the Optika6 is one of the scopes that passed his testing methods which seem a bit extreme but he's found that it worked well but finally lost zero around 3000 rounds. Again take his review with a grain of salt but he did seem to like it and his review is worth a read. He did beat the heck out of that scope. For the average user 3000 is a lifetime of shooting.

Having only handled the scope, my only obvious complaint is the massive power dial.

One more comment, if I recall correctly the Optika 6 was pretty heavy compared to some similar size/power hunting scopes. Not ideal for a lightweight rig at all, but for my use weight was not a concern.

I have an optima 6 on a 300wsm.
It is a heavy scope. I have not lost zero even though I landed on it twice this year hiking up a steep mountain on icy rocks. This is a downside of the front sling but that is a different thread.

I bought this scope to put on my brothers xbolt but the rear of the scope would not clear the bolt in the rings I had. So I ended up with the optima 6 and he is still using my nightforce.

The weight has kept me away from the current Meopta lineup. Sadly, for some reason, they moved away from the Zeiss Conquest (v1?) style with their MeoPro line which was a bit lighter and a smaller power dial. I have a (10yo?) Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which has been great on a 7mm Rem Mag and a Meopta MeoPro 4.5-14x44 on another 7mm Rem Mag. Once they moved on from the MeoPro line, I moved on also. In the process of mounting a recently bought Trijicon Credo which seems to check a lot of boxes, although I had to get a set of med rings for the bolt to clear. It has a large eyepiece. Good luck.

The weight has kept me away from the current Meopta lineup. Sadly, for some reason, they moved away from the Zeiss Conquest (v1?) style with their MeoPro line which was a bit lighter and a smaller power dial. I have a (10yo?) Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which has been great on a 7mm Rem Mag and a Meopta MeoPro 4.5-14x44 on another 7mm Rem Mag. Once they moved on from the MeoPro line, I moved on also. In the process of mounting a recently bought Trijicon Credo which seems to check a lot of boxes, although I had to get a set of med rings for the bolt to clear. It has a large eyepiece. Good luck.
Interesting. I was going to put it on a Browning BLR in 7mm Rem Mag. Desert Dog recently released a video on 5 scopes around $1,000 that he felt were great deer hunting scopes. Leupold, NF, Zeiss, Trijicon, & can't remember the last. He brought up the features/design of the Leupold VX5 (I have 5 of them) but also pointed out how thin the aluminum in the scope tube was, and how vulnerable it was to over tightening of the scope rings. I took it hat his #1 pick was the trijicon although he thought the NF was the sturdiest. He thought that Leupold had the best glass. I just can't seem to find the reticle in the Leupold's that I want. The Meopta is about $300 cheaper but I couldn't buy the nice scope caps of the Leupold. It's a real conundrum.

I just wonder if the reason the Optic's are so heavy because the aluminum tubes are heavy and very strong. I'm going to look at the Trijicon scopes to see if there is a reticle I'd like. I have the Impact29 reticle for my Leupold VX5s and but I saw that during deer season in the dark woods with no snow on the ground i=that it was difficult to pickup the crosshairs. The Leupold doesn't have an illuminated reticle.

I have an optika6 on a 300 Wby and a 6.5-06. Both have tracked well and held zero. I'm currently deciding what rifle to out on a new rifle and I'm in a bind because the optika6 is out of stock everywhere.

Interesting. I was going to put it on a Browning BLR in 7mm Rem Mag. Desert Dog recently released a video on 5 scopes around $1,000 that he felt were great deer hunting scopes. Leupold, NF, Zeiss, Trijicon, & can't remember the last. He brought up the features/design of the Leupold VX5 (I have 5 of them) but also pointed out how thin the aluminum in the scope tube was, and how vulnerable it was to over tightening of the scope rings. I took it hat his #1 pick was the trijicon although he thought the NF was the sturdiest. He thought that Leupold had the best glass. I just can't seem to find the reticle in the Leupold's that I want. The Meopta is about $300 cheaper but I couldn't buy the nice scope caps of the Leupold. It's a real conundrum.
Also interesting, I recently purchased a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 from a 'known' vendor that I have purchased from before both in person and on-line. When I rec'd the scope I had no concerns, but after mounting I ran out of windage (left) while sighting in. In the meantime, I ordered a Trijicon Credo from the same vendor, which came while I was sighting the Leupold in. The Trijicon came in a sealed box, which made me realize that the Leupold did not. I contacted Leupold and they were excellent. Their website recommended windage adjustable rings, I was using Burris Sig Zee's and ordered a set of inserts. While I was waiting, I mounted the scope on another rifle with Talley rings with the same issue. Anyway, after contacting Leupold, asking about the windage issue along with if their scopes are shipped in sealed packages, they responded that they do ship in sealed packages (cellophane) and to try the adjustable rings and feel free to send the scope back if that didn't work. Long story long, did not work to my satisfaction, so off to Leupold it went. It should be there next week and hoping for a good outcome. I contacted the vendor and they said they would take the scope back......if Leupold finds something wrong. They also told me that according to their records this was a new scope, not a return, but did not address it being an 'open box'. Pretty disappointing. On a good note, the VX-3HD glass was great as I compared to a Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro, and the Trijicon. Hoping for a good outcome. I have not got to sight in the Trijicon, but like everything about it so far. For similar pricing, a little sorry I bought the Leupold over another Trijicon. Good luck!

Also interesting, I recently purchased a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 from a 'known' vendor that I have purchased from before both in person and on-line. When I rec'd the scope I had no concerns, but after mounting I ran out of windage (left) while sighting in. In the meantime, I ordered a Trijicon Credo from the same vendor, which came while I was sighting the Leupold in. The Trijicon came in a sealed box, which made me realize that the Leupold did not. I contacted Leupold and they were excellent. Their website recommended windage adjustable rings, I was using Burris Sig Zee's and ordered a set of inserts. While I was waiting, I mounted the scope on another rifle with Talley rings with the same issue. Anyway, after contacting Leupold, asking about the windage issue along with if their scopes are shipped in sealed packages, they responded that they do ship in sealed packages (cellophane) and to try the adjustable rings and feel free to send the scope back if that didn't work. Long story long, did not work to my satisfaction, so off to Leupold it went. It should be there next week and hoping for a good outcome. I contacted the vendor and they said they would take the scope back......if Leupold finds something wrong. They also told me that according to their records this was a new scope, not a return, but did not address it being an 'open box'. Pretty disappointing. On a good note, the VX-3HD glass was great as I compared to a Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro, and the Trijicon. Hoping for a good outcome. I have not got to sight in the Trijicon, but like everything about it so far. For similar pricing, a little sorry I bought the Leupold over another Trijicon. Good luck!
Very interesting story. You can figure out over time if ya want to deal with that dealer again. Only time will tell. I have a number of Leupolds, probably close to 10 in various versions. I watched this guy Desert Dog on Youtube. He's pretty good. I don't always agree with him, but he has his own take and isn't paid by the manufacturers. AND, HE AINT A YOUTUBE DEUCHE BAG pulling advice out of his ass. He recommended 4 good hunting scopes around $1,000, not 5 like I originally thought. The trijican Credo, the Nightforce, the Leupold VX5/6, and the Zeiss Conquest 4. I ordered the Zeiss and the Meopta just to try something different. I had bought a rifle with a swarovski on it and definitely didn't like the external elevation turret. Too small of knobs, hard to see. It came on a rifle I had bought on Gunbroker. The one in the pic. Id say the Leupold people are pretty helpful. I'll make sure I report back on my experiences at the range with these two new scope. Let us know how ya do with your issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back