Marlin XL7 30-06 New Stock Upgrade

RaiderRich

So I decided to take my Marlin XL7 in 30-06 and replace the stock. Keeping in my keep inexpensive mantra and budget, I decide to go with the Boyds Spike Camp stock. I love the look of the thing and it was almost a perfect fit, the only issue was rear screw when torqued correctly road to high and interfered with the bolt travel. I corrected this by using an appropriate sized washer and it worked like a charm. The scope is an inexpensive Bushnell Banner and I may upgrade that at some point. I used this as my deer rifle when I lived in NY, it is the first centerfire rifle I have ever owned. While it shot good enough for NY deer hunting distances, usually less than 100 yards, it has not performed well at longer distances. The production stock is standard cheap and it did contact the barrel, dollar bill test failed. I may need to do a little adjustment on the new stock to get the fit perfect but plan on shooting it tomorrow to see if I notice any improvement. Pictures are the standard gratuitous before, stock in the shipping box and after pictures. After I shoot it I will report back and tell you next steps I have in mind.

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

Last edited:
Update 3/28/2021 - Took the rifle to the range, found 2 issues. First is I had bought some Federal Trophy Copper in 165gr and it was all over the target. Happened to have a box of Hornady Superformance GMX in 165gr. That shot much better. Secondly, the Bushnell Banner was a great scope for use at shorter NY distances. At distance I didn't have confidence with it. I will upgrade the scope when funding allows for it. I do have a Nikon scope that I can use in the interim to see if that performs better. The stock fits decent but I do have a little light sanding to do to bring the barrel to full free float. It makes just a touch contact with the wood at the tip area of the stock.

So-question to the audience at large. In my Winchester XPR 30-06 I am shooting 180gr ammo, it likes Federal PowerShock of all things. As this project rifle will most like be used for mainly deer and maybe cow elk but not bull elk, should I continue to work with 165gr ammo or try 150gr ammo? I do find as I don't reload, yet, more options seem to be available in 150gr. Would it make sense to use 180gr if all I am using it for is deer?

It really depends on what it shoots best. I have 3 different 30-06’s and none of them group 180s but one likes 165 accubonds and the others do well with 150 fusions or the interlocks. I hope to hunt elk with the 165s one day but they don’t do any extra damage on deer through the ribs

It really depends on what it shoots best. I have 3 different 30-06’s and none of them group 180s but one likes 165 accubonds and the others do well with 150 fusions or the interlocks. I hope to hunt elk with the 165s one day but they don’t do any extra damage on deer through the ribs
I know the what it shoots best. I guess with 30-06 ammo being so hard to find that when I do see it it is either 180gr or 150gr. Plus a lot of companies don't produce 165/168 gr ammo in a product line where they do produce 150 and 180. I have some 180 gr American Whitetail (Interlock) that does not shoot well in my XPR but I will try it in the Marlin in a few weeks. Never know it may shoot lights out in it. This week I am going fishing so hunting stuff is on the back burner for the one week a year that I do the fishing trip, except last year, damn COVID.

I agree, the 150s and 180s are the easiest to find in factory ammo. If you can 150s and the rifle likes them go for it, like you said that’s plenty for deer!
PS - nice choice on the stock, completely changes the look of the rifle

I agree, the 150s and 180s are the easiest to find in factory ammo. If you can 150s and the rifle likes them go for it, like you said that’s plenty for deer!
PS - nice choice on the stock, completely changes the look of the rifle
Thanks. The funny part of first time using it, I have never used a thumbhole stock before. I realized I was in autopilot for gripping the stock and was not even using the thumbhole. Once I started to consciously fit my hand into the grip it felt great. Real comfortable and yes it does take a plain jane looking rifle and gives it a nice custom look.

cool to see an XL7 in the wild. I had one a few years ago and it was an excellent rifle. wish they were still made.

Not all thin barrel rifles shoot better with the barrel free floated. I find over half shoot better with a pressure point. If its free floated now, and you select the ammo you want to use, you can always fold up a piece of paper and create a pressure point to see which way works better. Enjoy it wither way and good luck hunting.

cool to see an XL7 in the wild. I had one a few years ago and it was an excellent rifle. wish they were still made.
They were kinda made with the Remington 783, that borrowed a lot from the Xx7 line from my understanding, trigger especially. No clue if the 783 will be made and with Ruger buying the Marlin portion doubt the X7 series would get reintroduced as it would compete directly with the Ruger American. Though Ruger could take the GMC/Chevrolet approach to have 2 entries in the market.

Sharp looking rifle! I’ve learned my lesson with Boyd’s though, it’s good insurance to have them pillar bedded. I have a Boyd’s that split near the bolt holes, actually stared delaminating. The action was bedded but I never did pillars. Just a warning is all. I’d hate for someone to go through what I’ve gone through with this thing.

Sharp looking rifle! I’ve learned my lesson with Boyd’s though, it’s good insurance to have them pillar bedded. I have a Boyd’s that split near the bolt holes, actually stared delaminating. The action was bedded but I never did pillars. Just a warning is all. I’d hate for someone to go through what I’ve gone through with this thing.
I had them pillar bed mine. The extra $57 is well worth it I think.

I’d try to find a few boxes of different 150/165gr bullets you want to try and see what shoots best. Also since it’s pillar bedded be sure to check that the action screws aren’t touching the inside of the pillars. If so carefully drill them a little bigger. Free floating the barrel channel is a good idea also.

Back