Marias River WMA

Pagosa

Did anyone draw this access permit this year? Any recommendations on floating the Marias River in early November?

I live close by the WMA and floating in November can be easier said than done. Typically the river gets very low by that time of year. You can put it at Sullivan bridge and float a few miles of private before the WMA, and then float the entire length of WMA. I've always accessed it by the Clark road access which puts you in bottom (no hiking back up the breaks to get out) and about smack in the middle of WMA. There isn't any access from south side unless you get permission from a landowner (highly unlikely) but the river is easily crossable with hip waders by that time, typically.

The WMA still has a good amount of deer on it (and quite a few grizzly bears!!!) but I feel the amount of rifle permits they give has really dropped the amount of mature bucks. There are still some there for sure though! It has definitely helped that the area closes to hunting several weeks earlier than the rest of the state so that it's not full blown rut hunting like MT allows EVERYWHERE else!

Beautiful area and is very remote with only the 3 access points. If you have any questions PM me and I'm sure I can help.

I'll second the griz claims and lack of mature bucks. We bird hunted some of the private land adjacent to the WMA and I can't remember seeing anything special from a big buck stand point.

Will also say that the whitetail herd is still recovering from the massive EHD die off a few years ago.

Was out hiking the WMA this past weekend. Saw quite a few 3.5 year old bucks that have great potential but will probably be taken off the top this rifle season. Did however see 7 rattle snakes and 1 probably 2.5 year old grizzle bear in the choke cherry bushes gorging himself!

Did see plenty of deer and way more whitetails than I've seen recently. The numbers are there for it to be special, but so many rifle permits have really taken the age class off the bucks.

I appreciate it. I was over there in July and seen multiple mule deer from my one glassing site along the north side. After talking with area biologist I'm planning to just hunt from foot and not mess with floating. I have the Oct. 28th through the Nov. 3rd access permit. I plan to glass mainly and hunt once I spot a buck I want to get. The biologist said grizzlies are thick along the river and expect encounters. He also mentioned trying to avoid areas before daylight, avoid spooking a bear in the dark. It's a beautiful area and I'm excited about the experience. Preston

I drew permission for the first week, I am getting excited already. Bears be damned.

Good luck pagosa

Good luck to you both, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

I live close by the WMA and floating in November can be easier said than done. Typically the river gets very low by that time of year. You can put it at Sullivan bridge and float a few miles of private before the WMA, and then float the entire length of WMA. I've always accessed it by the Clark road access which puts you in bottom (no hiking back up the breaks to get out) and about smack in the middle of WMA. There isn't any access from south side unless you get permission from a landowner (highly unlikely) but the river is easily crossable with hip waders by that time, typically.

The WMA still has a good amount of deer on it (and quite a few grizzly bears!!!) but I feel the amount of rifle permits they give has really dropped the amount of mature bucks. There are still some there for sure though! It has definitely helped that the area closes to hunting several weeks earlier than the rest of the state so that it's not full blown rut hunting like MT allows EVERYWHERE else!

Beautiful area and is very remote with only the 3 access points. If you have any questions PM me and I'm sure I can help.
Hey man, drew it this year and was wondering if you can message me I’m new and don’t know how to send a direct message, if number works better it’s 406-560-3240

I appreciate it. I was over there in July and seen multiple mule deer from my one glassing site along the north side. After talking with area biologist I'm planning to just hunt from foot and not mess with floating. I have the Oct. 28th through the Nov. 3rd access permit. I plan to glass mainly and hunt once I spot a buck I want to get. The biologist said grizzlies are thick along the river and expect encounters. He also mentioned trying to avoid areas before daylight, avoid spooking a bear in the dark. It's a beautiful area and I'm excited about the experience. Preston
Hey man, new here, not sure how to send a direct message but had a couple questions for ya, if you could direct message me or send me a text at 4065603240 that would be amazing thanks

Back