Yeti GOBOX Collection

M1A Scout Scope recommendation

Pagosa

Last winter I purchased a M1A Scout and recently mounted a Burris 3x9 on it above the receiver with the Springfield Armory Scope mount (didn’t use the front forward mounted rail). Anyhow this scope sits two high to shoot comfortably. I like shooting with my cheek on the comb of the stock, and this set-up gets my eye/head/cheek too far off the rear stock. Does anyone have any recommendations for mounting a low-profile scope on either the receiver or long-eye relief scout style mount rail? I like target shooting out to 300-400 yards, so the scope doesn’t need to be a variable. Lastly any recommendations of the scope brand/model? Thanks Preston

Attached for reference for the receiver vs forward mounted scope.

Attachments

• B2E35F99-FDD5-4225-8039-BF518B1BD0F0.jpeg
    B2E35F99-FDD5-4225-8039-BF518B1BD0F0.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Homers, is it pretty accurate with the front scout mount? I have only got to shoot it about 40 rounds with the peeps.

Thanks Homers, is it pretty accurate with the front scout mount? I have only got to shoot it about 40 rounds with the peeps.

Yup, the 2x-7x is great range from close up to mid distance. Very satisfied with the scope as well as the accuracy of my M1A

Once I got used to them, I really liked scout scopes and shooting with both eyes open. I have both the Leupold and the Burris scout scopes. My Leupold Scout IER FX 2.5x28mm is so old it says "Steyr Scout" on the turret caps while my Burris 2.75x20mm is just a little bit newer. I much prefer the quality of the glass in the Leupold. The old style Heavy Plex crosshairs show up very well in low light but seem a bit thick at longer ranges where they can start to cover up smaller targets. Just me, but I never did like the windage and elevation adjustments that don't have the mechanical clicks I can count while zeroing but I think the new FX-II went back to 1/4 MOA click adjustments (my Burris is 1/2 MOA clicks). For all that, I still got a nice one-shot drop on an antelope at around (paced) 400 yards with the Leupold on a Scout/Squad M1A by holding where I could just see daylight between the doe's back and the horizontal crosswire. It's a tough call between the Leupold and the Burris; both worked well for me and there's only a half ounce difference in weight between the two, virtually flip a coin territory.

I've drifted away from the whole scout scope system and gone back to conventional eye relief optics since I got blinded in the right eye in a work accident in 2002, though, so I haven't tried any of the newer variable power scout scopes.

Guys, I appreciate the information and makes a lot of sense. Really leaning towards the Leupold

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back