MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Looking for suggestion on late season New Mexico areas?

Deer_hunter95

Hey guys, I’m from Missouri and may honestly not draw but I’m curious about trying to hunt late elk season in northern New Mexico and was eyeing unit 52 but elevation is pretty high (around 10,000 ft) will elk winter that high? Or too much snow? Any recommendations on good late season areas on public? Thanks

Hey guys, I’m from Missouri and may honestly not draw but I’m curious about trying to hunt late elk season in northern New Mexico and was eyeing unit 52 but elevation is pretty high (around 10,000 ft) will elk winter that high? Or too much snow? Any recommendations on good late season areas on public? Thanks

Draw a first tag and then worry.

If you're committed to late season look at CO first.

A late season cow elk hunt should be swell hunting in that unit. I have guys bring in late season cows from that unit alot, to my butcher shop.

[/QUOT
Make a list of the units you want to hunt, pull up the land owner list for those units and determine if you want to hunt ranch only or unit wide. Contact the land owner early and try and secure the voucher, this is going to take a lot of phone calls. Make sure you don't buy a RO tag that has 100 acers to hunt for 1,000 :) the better units run out fast right after the draw or they go to repeat costumers. If you do your homework you will be elk hunting, it may be expensive, but less people.

52 is easier to draw for a reason, make sure you under stand how the NM draw works.

Good Advice. If you want a cow hunt the reservations are a good place to start. I think they are about $650 now adays

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back