Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looking for some knowledge on Idaho unit 29.

Moz

I've been scouting in the southern part of the unit and have seen a lot of tracks and droppings. The only water that I can see is a couple of BLM springs near the highway and that's about Five miles away. Does anyone have any information on this area of the unit?

i would think there would be water drainages coming off the hills like 30 a has,,,water shouldnt be too hard to find,,,ive found most of the elk up in the upper drainages in the timber,,,tough the 5x5 i got last november was down in the sage brush,,most of the time they are up or skirting the timber,,at least in 30 a.

i would think there would be water drainages coming off the hills like 30 a has,,,water shouldnt be too hard to find,,,ive found most of the elk up in the upper drainages in the timber,,,tough the 5x5 i got last november was down in the sage brush,,most of the time they are up or skirting the timber,,at least in 30 a.

I have hunted 29. Keying in on water sources hasn’t been productive in the past there is usually a ton of water sources where I hunted . Might be different this year with the heat and drought. Unit feels smaller than it is. I would cover tons of ground as I have found some elk holes in very unlikely country. It’s been a while for me but my buddy said last year there were a lot of bow hunters.

I've been to the top of the drainage in this canyon and there is green lush grass back there but haven't seen physical water yet. I know they're there because of all the signs. I think I'm going to approach from a different opening that leads to the same spot. Lots of sign there too as I've also been through that way bear hunting.
I have hunted 29. Keying in on water sources hasn’t been productive in the past there is usually a ton of water sources where I hunted . Might be different this year with the heat and drought. Unit feels smaller than it is. I would cover tons of ground as I have found some elk holes in very unlikely country. It’s been a while for me but my buddy said last year there were a lot of bow hunters.
Thanks. I'm looking at the southern part of the unit and northern part of 51.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the unit. There's quite a bit of water up high. It seems elk tend to be in places you wouldn't want to pack one out of.

Reactions: Moz
🤣😂 just the kind of sarcasm we need around here! I don’t need to know peoples life story to give them some advice- if I have it…

Reactions: Moz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back