Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Looking for recommendations on duck calls.

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
Agree with Haydel DR 85 duck call. Perfect first call. Also completely agree with working the jerk-string and don't worry about calling. If you want a "good call", you can get an Echo double reed Timber with Polycarbonate insert for about $50. I have high end Echo calls, and they are absolutely not necessary. I just like collecting "nice" calls now.

Echo timber call. double or single reed.
I second the Echo double reeds for smaller water. One of my favorite calls around my neck for calm days and tight places. For larger water and windy days I like an really loud acrylic call single reed like a RNT Daisy Cutter. In addition I carry a Micky Sasso whistle and a cheap plastic wood duck call that works well when they are around.

Thinks about a whistle. Most puddle ducks will respond to a sprig or wigeon call as readily as a hen mallard and whistles are cheaper and much easier to master. Not as much fun to blow as a mallard call, but mistakes don’t flare the ducks as much as poor notes on the mallard call.

All of this and then some.

Whistle's can be more deadly than mallard hen calls since they're more universal and fewer folks use them overall. Mallard calls are fun, but you've got as much chance of blowing them out of the hole as drawing them in with a misplaced cluck or bawl.

I personally prefer the Buck Gardner 6n1 model but the Haydel's model is also great. They're essentially the same call, only the BG has a flared barrel which I think allows for more control. There's actually a Haydel on my lanyard at the moment since my BG got dropped into the marsh last year. Learn to peep like a Pinnie and count to three like a baldpate and you'll be set!

I second the Echo double reeds for smaller water. One of my favorite calls around my neck for calm days and tight places. For larger water and windy days I like an really loud acrylic call single reed like a RNT Daisy Cutter. In addition I carry a Micky Sasso whistle and a cheap plastic wood duck call that works well when they are around.
The Daisy Cutter is awesome, also like the echo open water for field hunting.

As others have said, dont spend big money. A mid range echo or RnT would be fine. Also agree if your buddy is good, you run the whistle and the jerk string. Poor calling or calling at the wrong time is usually worse than not calling. I dont call ducks all that much, my duck calling is mediocre at best, so I mostly chuckle and soft quacks only, dont need a super high end call for that. Now if we were talking goose calls, I'd tell you to pony up and get a Tim Grounds and never need another, but duck calls, meh.

I have had good luck with Candy River Calls, Kenneth is a great guy with a passion for building a call that works for each individual. Also makes a heck of turkey slate call.

A lot of good suggestions on this thread. I've owned a number of the calls suggested previously. I'd suggest buying a 2-3 of the entry level calls to see what you like the best. Echo, RNT, and Zink all make good single reeds. Try 1 or 2 single reeds and 1 or 2 double reeds. I haven't used a double reed in 15 years, so I really don't have a good suggestion on a double reed brand.

Highly highly recommend Sutter Basin which is a small owned business in the CA fly-away

As others have stated the DR 85 is a good call at a very good price. If you you want to spend a bit more the Lares T-1 is a great timber call, but can also be used on big water. My go to whistle is the wingsetter 8 in 1. My finish call the duck commander drake call.

Buck Gardner double nasty
My go to call when using a greeting call. Its easy to use, has a great sound and you can blow it quiet when hunting tight covered spots or blow it loud when in open fields or water.

To feed call and quack like a raspy hen, the best I've found is the super cheap duck commander "miss priss". This call is actually not easy to use as it required a lot of pressure to use so it's not a call I would recommend to the OP but for those that are good at using duck calls, its hands down my go to when working ducks. Just a few raspy quacks from it is enough to convince those circling mallards to dive in.

This ought to do the trick.

I’ve got calls from $20-$150. Several people I’ve hunted with could have used this and been more productive than whatever noises they were making.

I would do some reading on the when to call vs. what call. Can make a lot of difference.

It’s fun and addicting like most things outdoor related.
Bought this for $10 on amazon last week. I personally have a lot of trouble making this call with my double reed so this is a great deal!

OP needs to pull the jerk string on a decoy and splash some water. Let duck hunting buddy do the calling.
Well, I'm guessing he wants to learn, but I'd agree that movement in the spread is worth more than any call, once they're looking your way.

Well, I'm guessing he wants to learn, but I'd agree that movement in the spread is worth more than any call, once they're looking your way.

Yeah, all this is true. And OP mentioned he wasn't a total noob.

When I started hunting with my in laws there was one dedicated caller and everyone else kept quiet. If he wasn't there then nobody called at all. After a few years I started calling (poorly) and now everyone does. It's fun! And we're getting better! Still shooting ducks. I hate the idea of anyone being told not to call.

Yeah, all this is true. And OP mentioned he wasn't a total noob.

When I started hunting with my in laws there was one dedicated caller and everyone else kept quiet. If he wasn't there then nobody called at all. After a few years I started calling (poorly) and now everyone does. It's fun! And we're getting better! Still shooting ducks. I hate the idea of anyone being told not to call.
Ducks = one caller preferred, maybe a guy using a whistle or drake mallard every now and then
Geese = everyone calling like crazy, maybe even with two calls at once!

Back