Leupold BX-5 comparison?

MThuntr

Anyone have a chance to compare the Leupold BX-5 (specifically 10x) to alpha glass such as Swarovski SLC? Would it be worth the bump in cost compared to the Meostar 10x42 deal Schmalts is offering?

You can't go wrong with the leupolds. I think you will really have a hard time finding anyone who has did a fair outdoor comparison since the BX-5 are so new. PM me and I will shoot you a price on the Leupolds.

Hard to compare there as they have an Abbe Koenig prism system which is somewhat rare compared to the Schmidt Pechan most use. Maven and Zeiss have some models with Abbe Koenig prisms if you want to do a comparison. My basic understanding is they have slightly better light transmission but are slightly bigger overall.

Hard to compare there as they have an Abbe Koenig prism system which is somewhat rare compared to the Schmidt Pechan most use. Maven and Zeiss have some models with Abbe Koenig prisms if you want to do a comparison. My basic understanding is they have slightly better light transmission but are slightly bigger overall.
I don't think they are abbe koenig in the 10x42. The 56mm are though. This is the Leupolds I am referring to.

Last edited:
I don't think they are abbe koenig in the 10x42. The 56mm are though. This is the Leupolds I am referring to.
Thank you. I did not realize that both types were used in the BX-5.

If the Metopa 10x42's are abbe that sounds like a great setup for hunting.

Found a review that I believe is for the model the OP is referencing and compares the various top end models.

And another

Last edited:
I've been heavily leaning toward the Meostars and it seems that they remain one of the better deals in price per optic quality for binos with the exception of the Nikon Monarch HG

I've been heavily leaning toward the Meostars and it seems that they remain one of the better deals in price per optic quality for binos with the exception of the Nikon Monarch HG
I really want to look through those Monarch HG’s. Only problem is they’re a Nikon..

I really want to look through those Monarch HG’s. Only problem is they’re a Nikon..
Tell me about it! I just can't get excited about Nikon outside of their camera gear. Only the birder websites have much posted about them and we know hunters are tough on gear. The Nikon lifetime warranty may resolve any worries about field use though.

I don't have enough friends or pro connections to be able to compare all of these in real world settings. I should track down Andy McKean to see what he thinks.

Last I heard I was helping out with it again this year. I’ll let you know the dates and see if you want to make a trip out east.

I've looked thru the 12x50' s and they are amazing and I have sawroski 10x42's el .

For me, my eyesight is not 20/20 anymore so comparing 400.00 Chinese binoculars to 1000.00 Japanese or European binoculars is tough. The clarity will not be that far off on any of them. It's low light brightness and stray light baffling of looking into a low sun that really pop out.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back