Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leupold 5HD 3x15 15x44 - CDS - ZL 2

Ghillieman

Opinons plz.
Planning to mount on a Christensen Traverse 300 win.mag. Pretty settled on this rifle but may be swayed. 2400.00 for the rifle. Wanna be able to shoot 500yrds max.
1000.00 bucks for the scope.
Trying to keep my 3500.00 budget.
It appers to be the best bang for the buck for a reach out and touchem scope. Is the CDS spot on? Dont know about illuminated reticles..never shot one.
What say you?

I have Leupold CDS scopes on 5 of my rifles. A Freedom 3-9x on my .375 Rum, and various versions of their VX 3i scopes on the other 4. So far I have only had Leupold make a custom turret for the VX 3i 4.5-14x40 side focus that I have on my .300 Weatherby, shooting my 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. The only animal that I have shot with that scope was a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan. We laser ranged him at 327 yards, I held on the center of his shoulder, and when I got to him where he quit rolling down the slope, my bullet hole was in the center of his shoulder.

On all of my other CDS scopes I have zeroed them at 100 yards, then range verified the settings for 200, 300, and 430 yards (the farthest berm at our range), and I have painted a thin white line on the top of the turret cap for each of those yardages. I painted a white dot for the 100 yard zero.

We have steel gongs at each of those distances and I now can take any of these rifles, dial the CDS turret to the mark that I made for any of those distances, and hit that gong with the first shot. Here's one of my turret caps with the 100 yard zero dot, and lines for 200, 300, and 430 yards.
sGljnqll.jpg

I have a Leupold 5HD with the CDS turrets on my 300 win mag. My 18 yr old uses that rifle exclusively and has taken deer, elk and bear out to 400+ yards. Don't think you can go wrong with that set up. I don't turn on the illuminated reticle when I use it, but my son loves it.

Opinons plz.
Planning to mount on a Christensen Traverse 300 win.mag. Pretty settled on this rifle but may be swayed. 2400.00 for the rifle. Wanna be able to shoot 500yrds max.
1000.00 bucks for the scope.
Trying to keep my 3500.00 budget.
It appers to be the best bang for the buck for a reach out and touchem scope. Is the CDS spot on? Dont know about illuminated reticles..never shot one.
What say you?
If you haven't purchased your scope yet, you might contact @schmalts.

He posted a thread on Saturday morning stating that he has a limited quantity of "VX5HD 3-15x44 firedots in stock". From what I know he can fit your budget (under a thousand) too.

I have that very scope on my 300 win mag and love it. I got a VX6 3-18 on another rifle after that and got the firedot. I wish I would have gone with the firedot in the VX5 as well.

You will be very happy with the scope. I like the 3 on the low end. One guy I hunt with got a 8-3million and cant figure out why he cant find deer in the woods at 75 yards.......

I have that very scope on my 300 win mag and love it. I got a VX6 3-18 on another rifle after that and got the firedot. I wish I would have gone with the firedot in the VX5 as well.

You will be very happy with the scope. I like the 3 on the low end. One guy I hunt with got a 8-3million and cant figure out why he cant find deer in the woods at 75 yards.......
Does he know the FOV at 3 million is a mere 2mm?

Does he know the FOV at 3 million is a mere 2mm?
I dont think he has done the math, but he does come out of the woods with an unfilled tag and a headache most days…….

100 yards is about an average shot where we deer hunt. But he was going elk hunting and wanted to mount the hubble telescope on his .270. I tried to talk him out of it, but failed.

I have a vx5 also, awesome scope. You'll be happy.
I have 2 of the 171715 VX5-HD with the windplex reticle. Also a 180623 VX3-HD with windplex. The VX3-HD is probably just as good as the VX5-HD out to several hundred yard. Mine is still sitting on my bench in its shrink wrapped box. Due to health reasons I haven't decided what to do with it.

I have one on my 7mm mag. Awesome scope. I have a 3-15x44 firedot. Super clear glass and tracks perfect. In my opinion, the perfect scope, especially for out west. Great low power and plenty of magnification for those long shots.

blacksheep

I have one on my 7mm mag. Awesome scope. I have a 3-15x44 firedot. Super clear glass and tracks perfect. In my opinion, the perfect scope, especially for out west. Great low power and plenty of magnification for those long shots.

blacksheep
Went with the 3-15x56.. from Schmalts.. GREAT DEAL!

Back