Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Left handed rifle suggestions

Ruger.45

First time posting here, and let me start by saying hello. I am in the market for a new rifle. I’m looking for some suggestions on a hunting rifle for elk, moose, bear, and caribou. I won’t be going for these all at once or anytime very soon. I’d like to go for one of them in the next 5 years, as time, funds and tags allow. I’d like one rifle to be my go to out west rifle, I currently live in Illinois and I’ll shoot coyotes with said gun for practice. I’m currently looking at .300 win mag for my caliber. I’ve looked at Savage Storm, Tikka Liteweight, and Bergara HMR. Being left handed limits my manufacture choices. I’ve shot right handed bolt guns before and it’s not terrible but for now I’d like to stay with lefties. I also discovered that Christensen Arms has some left handed options. So my long winded question is for guys that have hunted out West is .300 Win Mag the optimal caliber? And what’s your thoughts on a rifle. It’ll be topped with a Leupold VX-5HD or VX-6HD

Also not a fan of Remington rifles. I have nothing against the 700 action, just not from Remington. The Tikka stock felt very cheap and had a lot of flex to it, but it’s the lightest rifle. The storm and HMR I have yet to hold, but the HMR is on the heavy side.

I have a number of left handed bolt actions. Three are Winchester Model 70s but you are likely going to have to limit yourself to used ones as they stopped making them (although I did see a new 7mm-WSM somewhere online the other day). I also have a few Savages and my 7mm-08 Weather Warrior is one of the most accurate rifles and probably the least expensive. I just purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmore a few months ago and it served me well with the elk I got last week in CO. If you don't want to spend $2,000 for a Ridgeline, I'd look at the Mesa. I think you will be limited to 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08 and 308 with Christensen Arms, but IMO, they will all do the trick.

I shoot right handed, but just came on here to suggest you check out Christensen Arms like the poster above. I bought a Ridgeline this summer and noticed they have left hand offerings.

I have a number of left handed bolt actions. Three are Winchester Model 70s but you are likely going to have to limit yourself to used ones as they stopped making them (although I did see a new 7mm-WSM somewhere online the other day). I also have a few Savages and my 7mm-08 Weather Warrior is one of the most accurate rifles and probably the least expensive. I just purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmore a few months ago and it served me well with the elk I got last week in CO. If you don't want to spend $2,000 for a Ridgeline, I'd look at the Mesa. I think you will be limited to 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08 and 308 with Christensen Arms, but IMO, they will all do the trick.
Did you get the carbon barreled one? I don’t mind spending the $2000 on the rifle if it’s the only one I’ll need for all my hunting plans

Did you get the carbon barreled one? I don’t mind spending the $2000 on the rifle if it’s the only one I’ll need for all my hunting plans

I did and I love it. I debated between the .308 and the 6.5 Creed and settled on the 6.5 as the ballistics out at distance were really not that much different.

IMG_4158.JPG

I am a lefty and shoot a tikka in 300 mag, probably would have went short mag if I hadn't been reloading for my dad's 300 win already. I looked hard at tikka, savage, and ruger as they were about the only ones I could find in stainless, mostly tikka and savage as they were far more readily available. For your needs I think 300 win or 300 wsm are good choices. Depending on your price cap and if you reload, you could also consider a weatherby mark v in 300 bee. Their left hand selection is small but they do offer several models in 300.

If you are looking at a big boomer, you probably are not going to be shooting it a terrible amount, anyway. I would not balk at buying the 300 Weatherby, if you think that you need something that big. Unless you are talking grizzlies, you do not need that much rifle. Buy a caliber based on what the predominance of your hunting will entail. If you do eventually go for the big bears and want a heavier hitter, then use that as an excuse to buy it at that time. There is no reason to hammer yourself and spend a ton on ammo, when most of your hunting is medium game and normal hunting ranges. It is hard to have just one rifle to do everything that you referred to. Also, when you go to the expense, time and effort to go on expensive hunts, it is in your best interest to have a backup rifle along just in case s*** happens...and it usually does.

I tote around a LH Browning A-Bolt II in 270WSM and just this year added a LH Browning X-bolt 7mm-08. The 270WSM has taken whitetails, mule deer and 2 moose with no issues whatsoever

A buddy of mine purchased a Christensen Ridgeline in a 300WM and that is a sweet rifle. Unfortunately they don't make the long actions in LH or I'd seriously consider buying one. The gun is light and has less recoil than my 280AI.

I've been looking at Montana Rifle Company for a bit now. Looks like most of their guns can be gotten in LH models. https://montanarifleco.com/rifles/x3/

Too bad that you don't like Remingtons.

nwC73M1.jpg

iXzo6ui.jpg

If you are looking at a big boomer, you probably are not going to be shooting it a terrible amount, anyway. I would not balk at buying the 300 Weatherby, if you think that you need something that big.

For me recoil is a consideration, also I don't love muzzle brakes.

I've looked at a bunch of different LH options; essentially I want an all weather, back-country rifle that is significantly lighter than my current one. Something that has made me a bit wary of weatherby, other than the price, is the fact that the caliber options for their left-handed rifles are super limited, and limited (seemingly) to their propriety super kicking calibers.

A 6.3 lb weatherby backcountry wearing a 1lb scope even shooting a 150 grain bullet and with a muzzle brake is going to be kicking a lot more than my 10.1lb .264 win mag shooting 120grain etips, without a brake. Taking a WAG 30% more.

That weatherby will recoil a bit less but pretty near as much as a tikka t3, (which weighs about the same) in .30-06 shooting a 150 grain bullet without a brake and for $1750 less.

I'm not going to shoot over 300 yards... so... kinda makes the decision easy between the two.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back