Lee Loader

Hatchie Dawg

I started loading rounds for my Win Model 70 6.5 x 55 with a Lee Loader. I am loading once fired brass. I have noticed there is a slight increase in the amount of force needed to turn and close the bolt on the reloads. The Lee Loader only resizes the neck. Is the modest increase in pressure needed to close the bolt to be expected in this case?

Thanks,

HD

Might be ok...might also check the oal on the brass, I've had necks stretch before, causing an increase in pressures. Just check all the dimensions with a good set of calipers, I'll bet you find where there's a discrepancy.

Are the once fired brass from your gun? If not, that is the problem more than likely. If using once fired brass from another gun you have to full length size them so the shoulder is pushed back far enough and to compensate if your chamber is tighter than the one the brass came from. If the brass is yours, forget this.

The brass is from my rifle. I've checked the brass and finished rounds with caliper and they do not exceed specs for the cartridge. On further inspection I have found a circular mark on the primer after chambering the round. These marks are not left on a factory round.

Maybe I do not have the primer seated properly?

I think you are right. I dont think your primer is seated in far enough.

Do you get the same amount of resistance when you open the bolt are you fire a shot?

I have a Lee press as well and was having the same problem closing the bolt. I ended up just resizing them again using a little bit more lube (helps with everything right?). I havent had that problem since. I have not seen and marks on the primers tho.

Glad you found it. Sucks wondering what you did, till you figure it out. and..as usual, I wasn't even close.

I have a Lee press as well and frequently have trouble closing the bolt. But, my problem all the junk (fir needles, moss, leaves) that gets into my chamber as a result of hunting in the Pacific rainforests for blacktails. My solution is to clean the shoulder area of my chamber when the bolt gets hard to close.

Also, congratulations on picking one of the great calibers of all time. When my son isn't using the one I gave him I leave my .280 at home a pack his 6.5. Powerful, accurate, can't be beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back